Farmer John Question! Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KingViper

Contributor
Reaction score
OK gang,

I just got my new 7mil Neosport Farmer John suit in and I have some questions. First I;m short and stocky. I'm about 5' 7" and 195 lbs so I ordered a XL per the sellers recommendations. I tried it on and everything fits nice EXCEPT in the bicep/upper arm area. This area is kinda bulky and not tight, lots of air space. Is this ok? Or should I get a large but I don't want to go too tight in the trunk area. Thanks!

Bryan

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

In order for a wet suit to work properly, it must trap the water equally throughout the suit. Pockets of puddled up water are not good.

An "off-the-rack" wet suit is wonderful if you have an "off-the-rack" body.

The choice is yours. Endure a bit colder dive or constrict your breathing by going to a smaller size.

Personally, I prefer to breathe.

You may want to give ScuabL.com's custom wet suit page a visit. You may be pleasantly surprised.

the K

So whats the lesser of two evils then ole' Mighty Kraken? Too much air space in upper arms or too tight in the chest area? Or does it really matter about the arms?

EDIT YOUR POST DIDNT SHOW UP!

Given that the two choices are the only options?
I'd definitely opt for a bit of sloppy water.
Constriction of one's breathing, especially under water, is not a good thing.
Really, don't constrict your breathing. It can lead to much more critical situations than being a tad chilly.

the K

The suit must not help you exhale, period.

Some brands such as Bare offer "short" versions of the basic sizes, that may be a consideration if you're not stuck already.

Other wise use the suit, see how it molds to you and how confortable you are. If it fits well otherwise poke around for some neoprene alteration talent.

Pete

Still having a tough time deciding wether or not this suit is too big. My wife says "That's too damn big on you." but it feels comfy in the chest/trunk area. Maybe I should take a picture? lol

Hey I have a Neo too its made by a major dive suit mfg ,but it fits me sweet and for the price,one thing you may think of is using a 1mm under it like a henderson Microprene to fill it out a bit, this keeps me nice and warm on Lakemichigan.
One thing you dont need it too tight on your chest,but wrist and ankles should be snug! other dive buds throw a core warmer under it this may help too!
Hey good luck!
dive safe
Brad

King Viper - I might have missed something, did you try the large? Breathing is very important. I agree with Kraken, chest too tight is more important than arms being loose. Check out having the suit custom made since most XL's are for guys around 6' 1". A custom made suit may not be much more than what you paid. You will definantely be much happier. - Tom

KingViper:
Still having a tough time deciding wether or not this suit is too big. My wife says "That's too damn big on you." but it feels comfy in the chest/trunk area. Maybe I should take a picture? lol

If it looks big to anyone then it is too big. Were talking about a garment that by design needs to fit like a second skin.

No picture required, send it back, go shopping locally to find something that fits you. Body proportions vary too much for a catalog specification to insure a fit. Be wary of shops trying to sell what is on their rack that day. Some get lucky but mailorder wetsuits IMO is like a roulette game. Been there, done that.

Pete

OK here the pics. Let me know what you guys think.

suit2.jpg

suit3.jpg

Thanks

Bryan

Back
Top Bottom