Fantasy Island Trip Report Oct 23-30-2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of course we have to also be happy that the airfare and somewhat more difficulty in visiting the bay Islands have helped delay their being ruined like such overdeveloped places like Cozumel, sure they are cheap but for even less you can dive epcot center for a few hours or so

Last edited:
Yep, one of the things I enjoyed about Nevis was that it wasn't overrun by tourists, but wow - getting there is a challenge, which is why it wasn't.

I don't think the OP was disrespecting Roatan; but rather, Fantasy Island. I was there the week before and read my post......the place is rundown...short of being a dump. That is not to say all of Roatan is ran down, but the fact is Fantasy Island is. Yes, you can spend a few more dollars and go somewhere else on the island. I spent $4500 to go to Fantasy Island (3 people including airfare). This may not be alot to others, but an entire year of savings for me. My opinion is that Fantasy Island should be ashamed of themselves for charging this kind of money and offering a place where the shower heads are broken off, the fan is so loud you cannot sleep, the patio doors don't open, there is electrical wiring hanging out everwhere (hot or not), light bulbs broken, missing, or not working. I spent $4500 for this. Yes, I enjoyed the diving and overall enjoyed my vacation, but its rediculous to spend this kind of money and get these types of accomodations. I too booked the trip before knowing anything about the "new management" and did not get the $499 discounted trip. Maybe somebody woke up and said, we better do something. It sounds like the new management is. I would like to go back, but not under the same conditions. It sounds like it will be better, but don't beat up on somebody who say's what they think about the place.

Read CajunDiva's report....she loves the place, defends it with all her heart, and still posted that it was worse than she thought.

Snagel

It's not new management's to compensate for old managers, but it would hurt to ask for a discount next time. Of course, expecting a better visit and not going during storm season would be better.

It's not new management's to compensate for old managers, but it would hurt to ask for a discount next time. Of course, expecting a better visit and not going during storm season would be better.

And lets not forget, the food thing, management issues along with the super discounts have been posted here for some time. While I certainly cannot blame the OP for what is their opinion, it would seem they really missed the boat when it comes to the info shared here

I didn't know about SB for my first two trips, didn't even have an email account then - but got lucky. I think they were both in September but was lucky there too. I've also had some bad trips to places, stood up by women in multiple states, etc.

thanks Nagel, you "get" where I was coming from! You and I and now Cajun Diva at least have recent/current experiences on which to base our comments. I don't think expecting to have enough water pressure to shower, have it occassionally be hot, have the a/c work sometimes, a toilet seat(a few of our group did not as CajunDiva indicated) semi-decent food and drink, a shower curtain/rod that doesnt fall down, a MAJOR water leak above your bathroom,(to the pt I called the front desk as the seam of the ceiling was splitting as the water ran down in a steady stream) light bulbs, and working patio door, etc.On the last day the new mgt said no credit cards, which came as a surprise to a few newer divers who had rented equipment, they suddenly without warning were told only cash, which they didnt have. It finally got resolved, but guests shouldnt have to go thru this kind of thing. The owner arrived on Wed, was sitting in the lobby surrounded by several staff(perhaps new, I dont know) they had to know there were significant issues, but nothing changed at this pt, no outages of provisions were taken care of etc. The hurricane didnt bother me, that is the chance you take, had it happen in Little Cayman, after diving 2 days got evacuated off island, nature happens, the issues at FI were not nature related. hopefully they will be on the upswing now, I hope so, but dont discount those of us who were there, as somehow our issues were manufactured, not valid or somehow our own fault for going when we did. With taxes/nitrox I paid $947, add in $900 for air and nagel's $4500 for 3 is just about right, alot of money for some of the issues that we had. I still had a good time with the group I went with and made the best of it. Enough said......Karen

Back
Top Bottom