Family-oriented hotel recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cozoholic:
Dont do AI- their food is awful

Hotel Cozumel specifically or AI's in general?

I'll second that about doing whatever training you can at home. I realize the problem with your wife is unavoidable. We did out OW check out dives across the way in Playa del Carmen and I wished I had spent that time enjoying the reefs instead of demonstrating skills. Also, it would have only cost $65 each to do the check out dives at home as opposed to $225 each in Mexico. But if you have to, then I guess you have to. I'm not saying this because I think they're any less skilled or qualified in Mexico. It's just that I would rather spend valuable vacation time having fun instead of doing skills, taking exams and what not. YMMV

scubawife:
You might be better off with a vacation rental then a hotel. Or even a 3-4 bedroom unit at El Cantil.
I'm in total agreement... El Cantil is the place for you.

Now find a decent dive op and you're set! Blue XT~Sea has 2 boats, check Christi's page for availability. Another 2 suggestions would be Blue Angel or Dive with Martin, they have mutiple boats and maybe you could get your own (or at least monopolize one :wink:).

If you're going to do a hotel I don't think you'd be disappointed by Hotel Cozumel. As others have suggested don't do the all-inclusive, you're close enough to town and if you go through the threads there are a LOT of great restaurants within easy walking distance.

Good luck!

driftin' by:
I'll second that about doing whatever training you can at home. I realize the problem with your wife is unavoidable. We did out OW check out dives across the way in Playa del Carmen and I wished I had spent that time enjoying the reefs instead of demonstrating skills. Also, it would have only cost $65 each to do the check out dives at home as opposed to $225 each in Mexico. But if you have to, then I guess you have to. I'm not saying this because I think they're any less skilled or qualified in Mexico. It's just that I would rather spend valuable vacation time having fun instead of doing skills, taking exams and what not. YMMV

Another thing I'll add is that if you do your training dives at some place like Cozumel, then you've really short changed yourself in a way. It's too easy, and if you have a chance to dive somewhere else that is a little more challenging, then you're quickly outside of your comfort zone. Folks talk about how much fun their cert dives were in Cozumel waters, but training is not supposed to be about having fun, it's supposed to be about equipping yourself to be able to handle yourself in the water. The fun comes when the training is done.

ggunn:
Another thing I'll add is that if you do your training dives at some place like Cozumel, then you've really short changed yourself in a way. It's too easy

Yeah, I thought about that. That's exactly why I wanted to do mine in Monterey.

I really appreciate all the thoughtful suggestions and advice. You all are the best.

Hinalo:
.... my wife...swears she will *never* stick so much as a toe in N. Cal water.
That is her loss. How about SoCal? Water temps are in the low 60's upper 50's in late summer, and the things to see are amazing.

I agree with Gordon, diving in Cozumel is "too easy". Doing OW check out dives there does not prepare the diver for diving in other more demanding locales. It is fine if you think you will only be diving in warm, clear water and calm seas, but that is pretty limiting IMO. She'll be unprepared to dive the kelp forest, something not to be missed in California.

Hinalo:
We are two families, with kids ages 13 to 17 (kids may become interested in diving but aren't yet) planning our first trip to Coz sometime in July-August. I've scoured this board for ideas and come up with a few that seem to make sense, but I'm hoping that you Coz veterans can help me sift out the best option for us. We can afford a mid-priced hotel.

What we want:

Not far from town
Family-orientation-other families and kids
Kids activities including things like introductory scuba camps
Nice pool and at least some beach or easy water access, minimal current
On the water, boat dock right at hotel (so we don't have to schlep gear too far)
room with kitchen
Not too noisy (those of us diving want to sleep)
decent restaurants or proximity to decent restaurants

Any advice on my list or suggestions I haven't thought of would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much, we're looking forward to having a great time.

Have to chime in with my 2 pesos, a really good family resort, at very fair prices, is El Cozumeleño Resort, from your list of "wants" the only thing it is missing is a kitchen, it's close to town (and cheap to go often). I'm a little biased as I've been there managing the dive shop for 7 years. You can get lots of hotel input here: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g150809-a_ff.66-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

Whatever you end up doing, enjoy Cozumel!!

CozumelAntonio:
Have to chime in with my 2 pesos, a really good family resort, at very fair prices, is El Cozumeleño Resort, from your list of "wants" the only thing it is missing is a kitchen, it's close to town (and cheap to go often). I'm a little biased as I've been there managing the dive shop for 7 years. You can get lots of hotel input here: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g150809-a_ff.66-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

Whatever you end up doing, enjoy Cozumel!!

How far is elcoz from town? Margaritaville...is that in town, or on premisis of el coz?

Cozoholic:
How far is elcoz from town? Margaritaville...is that in town, or on premisis of el coz?

El Coz is 3.5 miles north of town, a cab is 45 pesos for 2 (cabbies charge 5 dollars) or 65 pesos for 4 (cabbies charge 7 dollars). Margaritaville is on the south end of the downtown area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom