"Family of drowned Tennessee diver sues dive shop"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Inevitably, from the article:

"He also had plenty of oxygen in his tank."

So, oxygen toxicity as usual. :|

he wasn't even included in the suit... while being a contractor maybe he had insurance thru a facility? something is weird. Unless the attorney is making this about the standards

That caught my attention. I've never heard of a lawyer leave out a party regardless of their means, and the instructor would, at least, have insurance. Toss him under the bus and everyone may go home without paying.

Bob

That caught my attention. I've never heard of a lawyer leave out a party regardless of their means, and the instructor would, at least, have insurance. Toss him under the bus and everyone may go home without paying.

Bob
I am wondering if this is going to be a repeat of a tactic we have seen before... "get thee under the bus instructor and take one for the team...by the way we sent our first round draft picks to help the other team "

Bob

That was my thoughts as well. In situations like this you sue everyone in both their personal and professional capacity. Sounds like this case will get tossed before any facts are brought to the court. As Frank pointed out earlier, PADI and the booking company share no responsibility in this incident.

It's an odd strategy. Perhaps they're just hoping for a settlement and don't want to get into the details of the depositions and witness statements from the instructor and other divers who were present.

Was there an autopsy reported? Could the victim have suffered a medical event unrelated to the dive?

The article didn't mention anything about OW training or certificate, and I'm guessing it was supposed to be "discovery scuba"?

Some of my friends wanted to try discovery scuba when we were on holiday after I got my OW a few years ago, and I basically told them to either get a OW or not bother at all. After the holiday, two of them signed up with the same instructor I had, and only one went through. It turned out the other one had severe claustrophobia underwater that herself wasn't aware until she went down 2 meters. I couldn't imagine what would happen if she tried discovery scuba with a group of people.

I know there are quite a few instructors here, and I'd love to hear your view on discovery scuba.

My apologies if this is off topic.

I know there are quite a few instructors here, and I'd love to hear your view on discovery scuba.
Here in the Puget Sound, DSD's are given in pools. My first experience with scuba was a DSD given at a hotel in Maui, where we first went into the pool and then the ocean. A number of people who went into the pool decided they did not want to go into the ocean. I believe that in many cases, people go straight into the ocean off boats, but I'll let other instructors comment on that.

That said, for those who know they have any sort of anxiety should try a pool DSD session to ease into going into the ocean while on vacation. It really depends on the person and how much they want to commit to diving. I've met some people that they are perfectly happy doing DSD's on vacation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom