Family friendly beach with good diving on the Big Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

melfox26

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'll be heading to the Big Island for a week in early June and want to get some diving in. A few years ago, I got into a little trouble with the boss (wife) because I booked 3 of our 7 mornings on Maui to go on some boat dives. I've been given the go ahead to book 1 morning outing and the manta ray night dive.

Unfortunately that's not enough for me, so I figure that we'll be heading to quite a few beaches during our time there because she likes to lay out in the sun while the kids like to play in the water (boogieboard, san castles, etc.). Are there any family beaches where they can do the above listed activities while I grab a tank at a dive shop and head in the water for a dive?

Thanks in advance.....

For the most part, good beaches and good shore dive spots are mutually exclusive here on the Big Island.... but here are some possibilities:

Hapuna is the best-known beach on the island. But it is not known as a dive spot (LONG walk from parking lot down a fairly steep paved walkway). But just a few minutes down the coast is Puako, which is a great shore dive spot... but not a good "swimming" beach (but good snorkeling), no facilities.

Place of Refuge (aka Two Step) is a terrific shore dive, and great snorkeling; again, not a beach (a large lava shelf with tide pools for kids to explore, and an easy giant stride into the water, but no facilites).

There is a sandy cove at the Mauna Lani condo's (cannot remember the name of the cove) that is actually a nice little beach and a decent shore dive; but it is gated and on hotel property.... public shore access is possible, but a LONG walk.

The Kona folks probably have more suggestions, but off the top of my head I cannot think of many sites that meet your criteria.... you see, when I look for potential shore dive sites, I tend to AVOID those that have a sand beach in favor of a lava entry, because the viz and sealife will almost always be better at "rugged" sites versus "beachy" sites.

Have fun!

Edit: Maybe the tiny beach by the King Kam to the left of the wharf (in downtown Kailua-Kona)? Wife and kids could hangout at the small hotel beach to the right of the wharf, while you got a shore dive in to the left (I've never dove in that spot, only swam and paddled canoes there over the years; but the water is quite clear and there is coral, so it might actually be pretty "ok" dive... I just tend to prefer more remote places).

Ho'okena would be a good spot, but you'd have to luck into a good dive there... took me 2-3 dives to find a good route there. If the water's rough or there's a current, not a good idea to solo there.

The little beach to the south outside Honokohau offers a very nice dive, stick towards the shoreline to your left from the beach and it's a good dive. Beware of boat traffic.

The King Kam/pier beach dive, it's actually better if you go to the right side of the pier straight off the beach by the hotel and head out keeping to the right of the rope that separates swimmers from boat traffic by the heiau. There's a nice reef towards the right. Once again watch out for boat traffic.

Any number of small beach parks (shade trees, picnic benches, stores within walking distance, some have lifeguards) from Kailua south along Alii Dr to Keahou might be suitable - the last one being Kahaluu - restrooms, showers, parking, snacks, shade, rental snorkel and surfing gear, lifeguard, turtles, great protected snorkeling with big tame fish and nice diving outside the breakwater - the beach is like a lagoon and the surf activity here is the break out at the end of the breakwater. If the kids are young, there's a nice artificial (I think) lagoon at a beach just north of the airport, totally protected, about 3 ft deep with sandy bottom, with really pretty good diving just outside, it gets deep quickly and we were cruised by a manta ray in mid-afternoon there - limited public parking past the guard shack so go early on a weekend. Shade trees and nice restrooms and showers - it's a high end home development. To the north side is a long beach open to the ocean. I can't recall exactly but I think the name is Kekaua or something similar. I'm 90% sure the road you turn left on is Kukio Nui Dr. Another place that comes to mind is Old Airport right on the north edge of Kailua - showers, bathrooms, some covered tables, shade trees, and decent coral, lots of fish, and fun puka exploring beyond the west end of the beach up in the shoreline canyons (only on calm days and watch out because water flows through a lot of the holes and ledges and you can get sucked in if you're not careful). Popular family gathering place on the weekends. Though all have sand, I can't vouch for the surf quality at any of those places - a lot of the Kona beaches are rock bench just beyond the water's edge. Not being a wave rider, I can't say how they would work for that. Better beaches north in the Kohala district - some world-renowned - but I can't speak to the diving right around them (though you could slip off a couple miles to Puako for some of the best diving on the island - and there's even a bit of a cove with a beach there at road's end, if you like relative seclusion).

Melfox26,

I guess the answer to your question lies in your family's definition of "beach." There are a few locations that don't have a lot of sand but there's sunbathing, swimming and snorkeling to be had.

I would suggest looking at Shorediving.com's Big Island page. A good resource for the popular and easy to get to dive spots.

Starting up by me on the Kohala coast there is no scuba diving from Hapuna Beach State Park. That is unless you have a 4x4... even then I wouldn't bring kids. But Hapuna is the most popular and the second nicest beach up there. The foremost beach is at the Mauna Kea Beach Resort. Again no diving... just maybe the nicest beach around. Just get there early and ask for a beach pass at the hotel gate.

spoolin01 mentioned the end of the road in Puako. Locally known as Paniau this is a great shore dive spot but hardly relative seclusion... it's pretty lousy with divers these days. This is a great spot for a picnic and some tide pool swimming and snorkeling. There are a couple small sandy patches for kids to play in. There are no bathrooms here.

Down in Kona Mile Marker 4 is a great dive when the is no surf/surge. It is right next to Magic Sands Beach.

:callme: I vote for Kahalu'u Beach Park for the family. Nice beach, good snorkeling and the reef past the little park is in pretty good shape. You may end up battling crowds here but it is super family friendly.

As spoolin also mentioned Old Airport which is an easy dive when the surf is calm. Picnic tables and bathrooms are a good thing but it's isn't exactly the most picturesque spot when you're not looking at the water.

Speaking of crowds of course, as many other people have mentioned, there is Two Step next to Place of Refuge aka Pu'uhonua o Honaunau National Park. You should take the time to go and see as a family regardless (yes I just should all over you). There are only porta-potties here. I was diving there today and it was a clear vog free day and it was a total mad house. I wouldn't miss the dive when you here. The reef is huge and the snorkeling is awesome.

Hope this helps.

Aloha,

-Eric

I would suggest the spot that Friscuba mentioned on the south side of Honokohau Marina. On shorediving.com it is listed as Alua Beach. Once you have trekked over the lava to get to the beach, it would be a great place for kids to play. The dive is great as long as there is no NW or WNW swell. If there is a S swell it will be protected. You can dive it in 15 feet of water right down to 70, 80, and beyond. One note about shorediving.com...once you have clicked on an individual dive site, scroll WAY down past all of the diver reviews to see pictures. A lot of people don't scroll down far enough.

Back
Top Bottom