Family Found Dead Overnight. I bought 3 more household Carbon Monoxide monitors today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks John. The video is a strong one, even with the happy ending. Glad that our chambers are also getting use in CO therapy across the nation.

Sadly there are new death & injury stories everyday in the winter, every damned day, like Post Now - 1 dead from carbon monoxide
A Washington fire spokesman says one man is dead and two women were sickened by carbon monoxide in their district home.

I fear the snow and ice moving into the southeast will bring an increase the next few days as many people are ill prepared for such weather in that part of the US.

We see this all too often. Please spread the CO detector gospel to everyone you know!

Wait, 400-500 people per year die from CO poisoning in the US? There's 310,232,863 estimated people in the US. More people die from lightning strikes. You're more likely to catch TB ( link ) than get sick from CO. No one is rushing around to buy masks or magic lightning rods....

If avoiding lightening and TB was as cheap and easy as buying a CO monitor per bedroom every 5 years and plugging it into the wall, then doing so would be equally as good of an idea I suppose.

CO poisoning is an easily avoidable risk. Well, it is the air we breath.

Yeah, nice try. What percentage of homes have a CO detector? CO deaths is what, 1 out of 610,000 people? I'm willing to bet that the percentage of people who have them is less than the required amount to ensure that number stayed as low as it is. CO death is non existant. Sorry dude.

There are opinions...
Yeah, nice try. What percentage of homes have a CO detector? CO deaths is what, 1 out of 610,000 people? I'm willing to bet that the percentage of people who have them is less than the required amount to ensure that number stayed as low as it is. CO death is non existant. Sorry dude.
And there are opinions...
We see this all too often. Please spread the CO detector gospel to everyone you know!
Choose what you want. $5/year or not...?

Wait, 400-500 people per year die from CO poisoning in the US? There's 310,232,863 estimated people in the US. More people die from lightning strikes. You're more likely to catch TB ( link ) than get sick from CO. No one is rushing around to buy masks or magic lightning rods....
TB is also a problem, and there are a lot of people trying to do something about it. But do you know the number of infectious organisms it takes to get you infected? One! That is why a lot of work is going into prevention of diseases like TB, H1N1 flu, etc. These are difficult, hardy bugs that we are trying to cope with, and some of them are now drug-resistant. The CDC has these statistics on TB:
A total of 11, 545 TB cases (a rate of 3.8 cases per 100,000 persons) were reported in the United States in 2009. Both the number of TB cases reported and the case rate decreased; this represents a 10.5% and 11.3% decline, respectively, compared to 2008. The TB rate in 2009 was the lowest recorded rate since national reporting began in 1953.

But are the "facts" correct concerning lightning and CO? Now, according to the National Lightning Safety Institute, there were 756 lightning deaths from 1990 to 2003. That's about 58 per year. But The CDC discusses CO deaths this way: "During 1999--2004, CO poisoning was listed as a contributing cause of death on 16,447 death certificates in the United States." That's a five-year period, and that is 3,289 per year.

It looks like there are more TB fatalities than CO fatal cases, but not that much more. And as for lightning, it's way behind.

Now, how does that CO monitor look?

John (SeaRat)

TB is also a problem, and there are a lot of people trying to do something about it. But do you know the number of infectious organisms it takes to get you infected? One! That is why a lot of work is going into prevention of diseases like TB, H1N1 flu, etc. These are difficult, hardy bugs that we are trying to cope with, and some of them are now drug-resistant. The CDC has these statistics on TB:

But are the "facts" correct concerning lightning and CO? Now, according to the National Lightning Safety Institute, there were 756 lightning deaths from 1990 to 2003. That's about 58 per year. But The CDC discusses CO deaths this way: "During 1999--2004, CO poisoning was listed as a contributing cause of death on 16,447 death certificates in the United States." That's a five-year period, and that is 3,289 per year.

It looks like there are more TB fatalities than CO fatal cases, but not that much more. And as for lightning, it's way behind.

Now, how does that CO monitor look?

John (SeaRat)

Sorry, I misread the lightning stats. Happens.

These are non existent problems. You'll most likely get herpes, hiv, die from a car crash, get killed by a terrorist, etc. I'll sell you anti-all-those for $100. Replace as needed. No warranty or liability implied.

Irony would be if I died from it tonight.

Not likely to die/ get injured while scuba diving ... I may be waisting a similar amount of money for insurance for it.

I dont think I'll do a test for any irony carma by canceling it though :wink:

Not likely to die/ get injured while scuba diving ... I may be waisting a similar amount of money for insurance for it.

I dont think I'll do a test for any irony carma by canceling it though :wink:

That happened to this guy at work, he cancelled his health insurance and a week later his guts exploded, had to have stuff removed, and collected a 50k bill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom