Failure to Deploy... SMB Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can buy an adapter for the inflation hose that has 2 connector ends in a Y, one for the inflator and one for inflating an SMB

Oh cool, I haven't seen one of these. Does it extend out at all? I know you want to inflate at arms length to avoid entanglement.

But that is not what you said. I wasn't questioning that inflating an SMB is harder at shallower depth. I was questioning your explanation of the physics.

Perhaps I am a retard. I knew what I meant.... :)

Perhaps I am a retard. I knew what I meant.... :)

It is important that we explain these things with accuracy so as to avoid propagation of inaccuracies. When one of us mis-speaks, I think that we should be corrected so as to avoid confusion.

Oh cool, I haven't seen one of these. Does it extend out at all? I know you want to inflate at arms length to avoid entanglement.

Its a Y piece like an adapter so one arm of the adapter goes in the inflator hose, one Y end goes on the inflator and other used for the SMB inflator.

They are called "Y" Adapter and sold by Piranha Dive Manufacturing and I guess other suppliers.

It is easy to maintain neutral buoyancy while shooting an SMB at any depth. You have to be neutral when you start but until you let go of the bag, the total gas volume that is a part of you te diver has not changed.

All you do is move some has from your lungs to the SMB.

when you let go of the SMB then you need to take a breath but it's not difficult to time that and get the volume right. It can most certainly be done. Shallow means you need to deal with a larger volume but it is not impossible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom