Failure to Deploy... SMB Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have constant problems with it. The bottom of your open smb has a one-way valve-like constriction.. right? You send air into the bag, but the valve says shut and no air goes in the bag, it just by-passes and goes around the bag..

You just gotta play with it a little, ,ake sure the bottom is wide open, stick the reg in past the "lips" of the smb and then purge.. Sometimes it works perfectly other times, it takes a while to get everything lined up so the air goes in,

Maybe somebody else has the problem/solution figured out better than me?

My instructor was even sticking his fingers in to open the hole. I'm not sure about the one way thing, it seemed like I could see all the way through it into the bladder area. It did have a different rubber like material, so maybe it gets sticky when wet? I'll have to play with it some more.

---------- Post added June 9th, 2013 at 04:22 PM ----------

That is a great idea. Especially considering that the times you could most use an smb are sometimes when you are least able to inflate one.

Yea, seems like a cool idea. But that price point is a killer. It was listed at 110 pounds, that's over $150.

Yea, seems like a cool idea. But that price point is a killer. It was listed at 110 pounds, that's over $150.

How much is it worth to have the boat see you? Did someone tell you Scuba is cheap? Would your wife like you back? I know someone selling theirs used if you are at all interested. Not sure of the price, but he and I bought ours together, mine has been used 2 or 3 times, his not more then twice as often. I only use mine when I have a scooter. It will lift a flooded x-scooter, so it just stays attached.

How much is it worth to have the boat see you? Did someone tell you Scuba is cheap? Would your wife like you back? I know someone selling theirs used if you are at all interested. Not sure of the price, but he and I bought ours together, mine has been used 2 or 3 times, his not more then twice as often. I only use mine when I have a scooter. It will lift a flooded x-scooter, so it just stays attached.

Scuba is as pricey as you make it capt ;-)

My ex would have been happy to n have ME back... But that is a different story...

Scuba is as pricey as you make it capt ;-)

My ex would have been happy to n have ME back... But that is a different story...

Who wouldn't want a French supermodel?

No reason to get offended, it's just not in my budget. You don't always need the BMW to get the boat's attention. We were never in danger of not having the boat see us as there were alternative inflation methods. My hope on posting this experience is to see if anyone else has had this problem and what they think caused it. Obviously your SMB is much nicer than mine, there's no question about that.

---------- Post added June 9th, 2013 at 05:16 PM ----------

As a follow up, I unrolled the the SMB to get a closer look. This is definitely not a one way valve. My guess is that as it inflates, the inflation of the bladder causes the hole to close and the rubber lining seals as each side presses against each other. I guess I could try to prove this by orally inflating the whole thing.

No reason to get offended, it's just not in my budget. You don't always need the BMW to get the boat's attention. We were never in danger of not having the boat see us as there were alternative inflation methods. My hope on posting this experience is to see if anyone else has had this problem and what they think caused it. Obviously your SMB is much nicer than mine, there's no question about that.

Sorry, I wasn't at all offended. I understand budgets. As the guy picking up divers, I want you to be the biggest thing I can see, especially when you don't know that the weather went to crap while you were down there and now it's 11 foot seas and blowing 30. Especially if I have to come get you in the tender, then I want you to have that thing standing tall and proud.

I haven't experienced the problem you had, and I've blown SMBs from as deep as 180 feet leaving the wreck. I'm not sure what happened to yours, as all of mine (except the Buddy) are designed much the same way. I use the Dive Rite version that does not have the LP inflater, my wife uses the Halcyon version that does. I always inflate mine using my second stage off my pony, she always inflates hers with the LP inflater.

SMB use takes quite a bit of skill and constant practice to master, especially when sending them up from a relatively shallow (40 feet or shallower) depth. When I teach a solo class, there are only 2 skills I have to evaluate, and that is one of them. I evaluate it twice, once with the diver, and once from the boat. If the diver fumbles around, we practice until the diver doesn't fumble any more. If the SMB hits the surface anything less than fully inflated, the diver practices until they can do so repetitively. They have to stand it up, too, which can be difficult if you aren't a tad heavy.

That particular SMB (the Buddy one) is a tool to help avoid some of the problems you were experiencing. You may choose a different tool to help avoid those problems you experienced, or you may choose to continue on with the tool that gives you problems. I offered an alternative that solves the problem, no more, no less. Me seeing you makes my customer return to the dock ratio closer to 1:1

If the SMB hits the surface anything less than fully inflated, the diver practices until they can do so repetitively. They have to stand it up, too, which can be difficult if you aren't a tad heavy.

I'm out to the quarry to play with my DAN version for the first time this week. If the SMB has a relief valve, why wouldn't you just inflate it more than you know is necessary for expansion and have it exhaust the excess on ascent?

I'm out to the quarry to play with my DAN version for the first time this week. If the SMB has a relief valve, why wouldn't you just inflate it more than you know is necessary for expansion and have it exhaust the excess on ascent?

Ahhh, young grasshopper, you will learn that in the quarry. Wax on, wax off. The nearer you are to the surface, the more the SMB expands with the air you put in it. As the SMB expands, it exerts positive buoyancy on you, dragging you to the surface. It's way easier to shoot a bag from depth, because as the bag rise, the air in the bag expands, so when it hits the surface, it is fully inflated. If you are already near the surface, the bag (the air in the bag) doesn't have as much time (many atmospheres) to expand before you have to let it go. It is very difficult to inflate your SMB while dumping your BC/Wing then when you let the SMB go, re-inflate your wing to attain neutral or slightly heavy buoyancy.

That's why properly inflating a bag is a difficult skill.

Back
Top Bottom