Failed PADI Rescue....now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're right. During the pool session I was having trouble giving rescue breaths to an unresponsive diver at the surface. With so many other students around kicking me and splashing water in my face, I became really frustrated after they had all left the water and I was the only one left in the pool because I needed to redo the exercises again. The next day in open water I had asked the course coordinator in the case that I don't pass this course, what are my options, to which he immediately replied "You are pointing out that you do not have enough self confidence to finish this course, so my recommendation to you is to stand down" I arrived at the same site the next day only to do random gear retrievals in the water that had absolutely nothing to do with the course. When I asked why I wasn't given the scenarios to do in open water, I was told that the instructor felt it was best that I didn't do them. This is what I'm mad about. The fact that I paid for this course and didn't get to finish it because the instructor didn't have any faith in me. Sure I'm just a stupid beginner diver like a lot of people who've replied to this post didn't hesitate to point out, but in general life when you pay for something you expect to get something back in return, even if it means you fail a course you're still given the chance to do your best. This wasn't the case here. I was basically brought aside and told I wouldn't complete the course just at enough volume for everyone else to hear. I'm sick and tired of be g-damn ridiculed by people who have no clue what they're talking about. Yes I will find and easier way to complete this course so that my $400 some odd dollars don't go to waste, like when I return an unused tank at the shop and they won't give me a refund for it. I don't know how many times I've pissed money away by a shop that either doesn't honor returns or don't give refunds on unused tanks. I should call PADI tomorrow and ask them what business a shop has giving an newbie instructor 7 students do do a rescue course with. I thought these people were only restricted to do open water diver courses? I shouldn't have to take orders from a 20 year old instructor just cause it says so on his c-card.

Why would they give you a refund on a tank you removed from their rental fleet for X amount of time, during which they would have otherwise had it available to rent? Does your LDS have an infinite number of rental tanks? Even if it did (it doesn't), they already had their employee prep the tank and get it out the door with you - whether you used it or not is your problem.

If you think the instructor didn't follow standards for the class, you should take it up with someone: the shop that employs them, PADI, or both. But have the spine to come back here and tell us, verbatim, the outcome of that investigation.

And the whole situation in deep water was not my fault. Did I put a pinhole in my regulator hose? Isn't it the responsibility of the shop to test every reg and every piece of gear before they hand it out? I've had numerous problems with rentals because they weren't checked beforehand. It's not my responsibility to check rental gear if I'm paying big $$$ to use them. That's what the shop is supposed to pay people to do. Some of the crap I've taken out of the rental room I wonder why divers are ever given the option. During the deep dive the instructor was with the other students and because I was never at a wreck before in my life i panicked when I realized I was losing air. Don't blame it all on me. If I was rich and had $5000 to spend on top of the line gear, believe me I would. But I'm poor so I have to settle for second best, even when seconds are definitely not the best.

---------- Post added October 7th, 2014 at 12:27 AM ----------

Why would they give you a refund on a tank you removed from their rental fleet for X amount of time, during which they would have otherwise had it available to rent? Does your LDS have an infinite number of rental tanks? Even if it did (it doesn't), they already had their employee prep the tank and get it out the door with you - whether you used it or not is your problem.

Sorry, didn't ask for your input. Why don't you post somewhere else.

And the whole situation in deep water was not my fault.

Running out of air, going where you weren't supposed to and panicking? That's all on you.

You're supposed to monitor your own gas, stay out of places you're not supposed to be and keep your sh** together when things start getting stressful. The first two are from your OW class. The last one is one of the big points of this class.

Did I put a pinhole in my regulator hose? Isn't it the responsibility of the shop to test every reg and every piece of gear before they hand it out?

Nope. That's on you too. It's part of your buddy check when you hit the water.

It's not my responsibility to check rental gear if I'm paying big $$$ to use them.

It's always your responsibility to check your equipment, regardless of where it came from. The nice part about rental stuff is you can bring it back, tell them it's broken and get something else.

During the deep dive the instructor was with the other students and because I was never at a wreck before in my life i panicked when I realized I was losing air. Don't blame it all on me. If I was rich and had $5000 to spend on top of the line gear, believe me I would. But I'm poor so I have to settle for second best, even when seconds are definitely not the best.

I have a garage full of gear, ranging from top-of-the-line brand new stuff to my favorite 40+ year old regulator I got on eBay for $50.

Know what? Every bit of it can and will fail at random moments. Some when it's new; some when it's old; some right after service; some "just because."

The problem isn't that you didn't spend $5000, the problem is that you aren't taking active responsibility for yourself, your training or your gear. Unfortunately for you, that means you'll go though life blaming everybody and everything else for anything that goes wrong.

flots.

I have nothing new to add to this thread. I'd close it if I could. If I get no satisfaction from the shop tomorrow I will make a formal complaint to PADI or use legal action if necessary.

I shouldn't have to take orders from a 20 year old instructor just cause it says so on his c-card.

:confused: :shakehead:

If this entire thread wasn't so pathetic, it would be hilarious! Keep digging your hole deeper, I can't wait until you strike oil in it.

---------- Post added October 6th, 2014 at 10:28 PM ----------

I have nothing new to add to this thread. I'd close it if I could. If I get no satisfaction from the shop tomorrow I will make a formal complaint to PADI or use legal action if necessary.

Absolutely! If they won't give you a rescue cert just sue them for it! That will solve ALL past, present and future problems! :dork2:

If you don't want to take advice from a 20 y/o instructor, then you damn sure better take it from people here, many of whom who have tried to tell you where the problems may lie, and how to move forward. Many of the people who have posted have 20+ years experience, and in some case, have 'written the book on it'. In other cases they are divers who are at the cutting edge of the technology, doing dives very few of us would even dream of.

If you can't listen, you can't learn. Nothing here so far has been your fault, according to you.

I have one simple question for you.... answer me this. Who is responsible for everything that happens to you once you get up and get wet? That's it.... just one question.

Steve

Wow. You have posted on a VERY busy public forum. You should expect that many people will read and contribute.

I'm not sure what to think any more. The pinhole comments took this over the edge of sanity.

As much as he wants to believe he is Captain Teflon, so much crap is sticking.

Back
Top Bottom