Failed Open Water Cert Dive - Panicked and Bolted for the Surface - Confidence gone!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No matter how good the dive instruction, things won't settle down for you until you get a basic trust in your gear.

Some get that faster than others. New gear is intimidating, so were the conditions, so were the instructors. The outcome is no surprise.

OP -- what everyone else said is right -- your experience isn't unique.

As TSandM wrote, we take students from a clear, warm pool without much exposure protection to cold, dark, murky water with loads of exposure protection and the transition is hard. We do not let the students get into the pool with full gear because we believe the thermal issues (getting way over heated) outweighs the benefit of diving in full gear. So the very first experiences tend to be "interesting" and why I do everything I can to ease the transition.

BTW, I do remember on female student who sounds not unlike you. She loved the pool but once into the cold, dark water, not so much. She was, in fact, very close to panic on her last dive and we spent a long time standing in the water working on everything I could figure out. She finally went out and she did her 4th (and I believe last) cold water dive. That was several years ago.

I saw her a few weeks ago while I was teaching her husband during an advanced class -- she is still an active diver but ONLY in warm, clear water (they are off to Australia soon). Diving is supposed to be fun -- if it isn't, change the environment (whether that is physical, psychological or some combination thereof) and make it the fun it can be.

...I felt like I was being strangled by the hood...
Me and hoods have never really gotten along, which sucks for me since during the winter they're basically standard equipment here in southern California, and required gear for any dive north of Santa Barbara.

I started out with a basic 7mm hood, which drove me nuts. It always felt tight and it really constricted movement. After much bellyaching, my fiancee drug me to the dive shop and bought me a 7/3mm coldwater hood. It's 7mm on the head, but much thinner material around the lip of the face, and on the neck. What a world of difference! I can move my neck with ease, I never feel my neck being constricted, and I can fold it down around my neck with no discomfort whatsoever. Best of all, it's still nice and toasty in the coldest water we encountered this winter down around 50 degrees.

I would recommend you try one in that style if you continue to have hood issues. Mine (made by Bare) was a bit on the expensive side, but worth every penny. I might also add that many of the instructors here make a few snorkel dives in full exposure gear (plus BC and some weight in some cases) to allow students to acclimate to the feel of the surf, taste of the salt water, and bulkiness added by all that neoprene/equipment. Perhaps you could try one or two of those to help get used to the 'uniform'?

We do not let the students get into the pool with full gear because we believe the thermal issues (getting way over heated) outweighs the benefit of diving in full gear.

Don't be too concerned about overheating Peter (unless you use a hot tub). The USAT Wet Suit Guidelines state that for the Triathalon/Ironman you can wear up to a 5 mm wet suit in up to 79 degrees F (you can actually wear one to 89, but aren't eligible to win awards past 79). After 89 degrees they're prohibited.

The pool I use is around 80 degrees and I haven't had a problem, nor have any of my students (although we're not running a Triathalon or trying to win medals). :)

I am only very recently qualified open water so please take my advice with a pinch of salt. I would definately say though not to give up if this is something you really want to do. I bolted a number of times during my pool classes and held back from doing my checkout dives because of this. Another couple of pool sessions and I was good to go. Still suffered some anxiety during my quarry dives but got into the mindset that all my options were underwater - there may be a whole lot more air on the surface than in my tiny 12l cylinder but up there lies the risk of serious injury.

I learnt in dry suit, hood and gloves but we were taught to use these in a pool first. This was a definate benefit and I think doing some pool sessions and asking to wear the kit could be good for you. It will increase your comfort levels as tasks like mask replacement are different with full gear on.

Really hope your bad experience doesn't put you off for too long.

A hood can really give that strangled feeling. Wearing rental gear is not optimal. I second the idea you get certified in more friendly environs. (I think its called a referral ? warm calm clear water helps !) You should have been led to snorkle the dive site first imho to ease anxiety and get used to wetsuit. The transition from a pool to a rocky coast is a tough one.

The USAT Wet Suit Guidelines state that for the Triathalon/Ironman you can wear up to a 5 mm wet suit in up to 79 degrees F (you can actually wear one to 89, but aren't eligible to win awards past 79). After 89 degrees they're prohibited.

Our students are in an 84 degree pool, and their wetsuits are 14 mm of neoprene.

I honestly don't know if they would really overheat, but it doesn't matter, because the shop owner doesn't want his expensive open water wetsuits damaged by the chlorine.

Our students are in an 84 degree pool, and their wetsuits are 14 mm of neoprene.

I honestly don't know if they would really overheat, but it doesn't matter, because the shop owner doesn't want his expensive open water wetsuits damaged by the chlorine.

But it's ok to p in them in the pool? :)

As stated above - please dont give up! I also agree that you should have had a full equipment dive in the pool before going to OW. First time in wetsuits and hoods is a problem for a LOT of people. I almost always have at least one in every class that feels squeezed by the suit and hood. Secondly, as far as the instructors are concerned.......I would have gotten my a** fired or run off for making ANY comment about having to "save" a diver. That kind of remark has no place in the presence of a new student. It destroys confidence and should be completely unacceptable. One other thought...you can always for a referral in some warm clear Carribean water :D if you dont want to do it there. Good Diving!

...//...I really clicked with the girl who became my dive buddy throughout the course. ...//...The only thing I didn't like about the class up until that point was the instructors. The lead instructor was ok, not particularly patient or approachable, but his wife (the assistant instructor) was bad. ...//...then some of the instructors start joking about having to rescue us before we even start our first activity. I think that is what sealed my fate for the day. ...//.... Now, I was really off my game.
...//... Now, I'm so tramatized by the ordeal. A week ago I thought I loved diving and was looking forward to all the fun adventures the hubby and I would have diving together. Now, I feel like giving up altogher. ...//...

Wow. Now you can see why I harp on finding a good instructor before parting with your money.

...//...I'm wondering if others have had similiar situations or know people who have been in similiar situations. Any words of wisdom ...//... Anything?

Yes, I took a high-level course from a noted instructor and failed due to lack of positional control. No prob, I have since fixed that. However, I overheard (was meant to overhear) one of his junior instructors ask "Did you ever tell anyone that they just weren't meant for diving?". The comment was immediately deflected. However, it still stung.

I know I suck, that is why I'm paying you to take your course, *******...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom