Failed my Day 1 PADI Pool Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This statement is not a condition of certification nor is your signature a promise to do those things. Your signature is simply acknowledgement that PADI has presented the information to you.
That is true, but it is a d@mn good idea for people to follow. Uncertified divers have died as a result of diving without training.

This statement is not a condition of certification nor is your signature a promise to do those things. Your signature is simply acknowledgement that PADI has presented the information to you.
Exactly. In addition those statements say no solo diving and no deco diving.

That is true, but it is a d@mn good idea for people to follow. Uncertified divers have died as a result of diving without training.
We were discussing using a regulator on a couch, then bathtub, and then while swimming on the surface of a pool. With a certified diver supervising.

I don't see the danger here.

I am known not to follow rules:)

I self taught my dive buddy, he did the course just so he could dive on vacation.

This person needs practice and has done a course and failed, he will be fine in a pool with a dive buddy....
simpler the better and go slow.
is sounds like thats whats needed in this case...

Hey he can just buy some used dive gear if that's better.

Oh I have a good idea... why not practice in a drysuit... that sounds like it will help him...
KISS = keep it simple stupid

Trained divers have died as a result of diving.
AFAIK, there are divers that can do circles around me in the water that learned to dive without any official training. Some of them got certified only to be able to get fills or get to dive boats.
This is a product of over-litigious society as North America is.

Find another instructor. I will not teach more than 2 students in a class now and most of the time, unless they are related, I only do private one on one classes. The first pool session is all swimming, snorkeling, and breath hold diving. No scuba. We work on mask clearing, buoyancy control using lung volume, and proper weighting with just a wetsuit if necessary. Mask clearing is completed before you are put on scuba. the class is 5-8 pool sessions with each pool session lasting about 2 hours. No one is rushed. I can move on to another skill and come back to one. It actually works better that way for some students as it allows them to build some confidence and use that to go back and do something they may have gotten through but still show some apprehension with. Too rigid of a program is stupid and I've seen many students get frustrated with other instructors and programs nearly quit. Then they come to me and we work to their strengths to help them develop in areas where they may be weak.
I'd also wonder how much experience this instructor has with needing to think outside the box with some students. I'm guessing not much.

Trained divers have died as a result of diving.
AFAIK, there are divers that can do circles around me in the water that learned to dive without any official training. Some of them got certified only to be able to get fills or get to dive boats.
This is a product of over-litigious society as North America is.
Of course trained divers have died dying for a number of reasons. Divers in training have died, including in pools. And of course the first instructors had to figure out training themselves. The concern I have is a slippery slope of "oh, that's okay". Sure, most of the time nothing happens, But sometimes it does, and it could have been avoided. There are a number of mask/snorkel exercises a person can do by themselves that will allow them to learn basic skills in a relatively stress free manner. A number of people are stressed by the idea of being underwater and breathing from a regulator. However, if you are standing in chest deep water with only a snorkel and possible a mask, and you don't like something, you just stand up.

A false equivalence has been generated in these last posts. Although not stated explicitly, the implied message is "Some people who dive without training die, but so do some people who have training; therefore, there is no benefit to certified training."

Of course, the problem is the vagueness of the word "some," which could cover a range from 0.00001% to 99.99999%. Is 0.003% about the same as 99.97%? Of course not, but if you call both numbers "some," they sound about the same.

Now, I haven't got a clue of the actual percentages, but I do recall a thread a few years ago in which it was reported that roughly 50% of the people who die in cave diving accidents are certified to dive in caves, and 50% of those who die are not. To people who do not understand math, it sounded like there is no benefit to cave certification, and several people said so. Of course, the fact is that probably about 98% of the people who go into caves are certified, so the 2% who are not certified are providing 50% of the deaths. That makes the difference significant, although a lot of people still would not understand why.

Scubaboard - a place where we go from suggesting the OP practice breathing on a reg in the bathtub to the fatality rate for untrained divers in caves in 10 posts or less
That's because there are so many experts here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom