Fail! Weekend Certify-

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I read every post on this thread before responding.

I understand and accept that you were in poor weather conditions and that the instructor probably exercised poor judgement in allowing the dive to take place, and that they were not very patient with you.

^^ You remember the events in a particular way, that does not mean you are recalling them accurately. There was a lot going on, you were stressed, and by analyzing what you say and how you say it, it's possible to determine a bit more clearly what exactly transpired here.

Sounds to me like the instructor was watching you, and when you were by the float he was close enough for the two of you to have quite a bit of conversation.

I don't think anyone who has posted on this thread is trying to do anything other than help you figure out what happened, how to avoid it next time, and to provide you with something positive and useful to come away with from the entire ordeal.

How is it that the instructor was watching me the 2 mins he was under water checking to see if I was really kicking??? He was stressing me out, is all he was doing.. He left me swimming alone!
Then checked to see if I was telling the truth about kicking, do you realize that felt like more pressure? how about just waiting for me?..
Then went to the bottom, and you weren't there..
He wasn't near me, when he was dropping down, nobody was near me, wouldn't that be the meaning of being left behind?

Saturday visibility was 25+ THEY said so unless he lied he could of been quite a distance from me watching right??? Which he was,

BESIDES all that it is about FUN and a good experience.. and safety--- so was this all of that is the big question...

I can tell you NO. My son will tell you NO.. and I'm sure the freezing- weak kids would of said no, however I can't speak for them. But I was there when they refused to go back into the water.

I don't understand why you would say to your son "SEE how it feels to be left". That only makes a bad situation worse, and you're not acting like a supportive parent by saying that. It would only increase his anxiety.

He lost his gloves. This is the fault of the dive instructor too?

Your son lost his gloves, the dive Op was going to sell him a new pair to replace the ones he lost. I'm not seeing anything wrong with that. Gear costs money to replace. It's not the first piece of dive gear you are going to ever lose.

You two were completely separated, he was on shore and you were in the water messing with your fins. This is the instructors fault too? You never considered that you ought to um...wait for one another before entering the water together?

You need to go back and read im not explaining no more... I was NEVER in the water without someone.. this is all explained.. The owners SON was in the water with me he is an instructor...
if you know this dive shop .. maybe u should stop b4 i out them.. and really tell it.

One more remark directed towards me negatively im reporting you..

How is it that the instructor was watching me the 2 mins he was under water checking to see if I was really kicking???

Saturday visibility was 25+ THEY said so unless he lied he could of been quite a distance from me watching right??? Which he was,

He was looking up at you from under the water in the 25+ feet of visibility like you just said.

I have little doubt that some mistakes were made on the part of the instructor, but by the same token I think you expect too much from your instructor, there are several things you complain about in this thread that are clearly your responsibility.

This next part here...

he was still on the shore I was in the waves trying to put on my fins.

It's been my experience that when entering rough surf, to WEAR the fins into the water and walk backwards rather than try to struggle with them in the rough water.

Was anything said to you about putting your fins on prior to entering the water to avoid being tossed around and possibly losing one or both fins?

Again, this is the opportunity for a LEARNING experience, nothing more.

One more remark directed towards me negatively im reporting you..

You'll have to get in line.

I do not know the dive shop and have no idea which one it is...I reside in florida.

Nevertheless, I do think the shop should know and should have an opportunity to correct their wrongs. I also think they should have an opportunity to respond on SB (if their identity is revealed).

The DM, in my opinion, should have been more direct in his supervision and your instructors/staff should have been a lot clearer in their directions/logistics.

It's been my experience that when entering rough surf, to WEAR the fins into the water and walk backwards rather than try to struggle with them in the rough water.

Was anything said to you about putting your fins on prior to entering the water to avoid being tossed around and possibly losing one or both fins?

Again, this is the opportunity for a LEARNING experience, nothing more.

You'll have to get in line.

So me the student should of told the Dive masters SON an instructor- hay look with my experience I think we need to put our fins on to enter this surf,.. it's bad out here.. Yeah that was my first thought when entering the water with him..
No, I was thinking damn those some big a** waves :O

He should of known if my fins should be on..

Really? This is your case now?
maybe you should of been there teaching everyone how to do everything right.
How about you find another thread to hijack

SSI - So yeah they are licensed, just a nightmare I suppose.

Let's just move this along a bit shall we?

Gioria, I didn't read all of the posts on this thread but I read the first part when you first started it and I just read the last part.

Clearly there were some real issues with things like logistics and supervision that were far from "tight" and that concerns you, and it should. Clearly as a beginning diver you rely on your instructors to make sure you're learning in a safe controlled environment and you feel that they were not providing it for you (if I read you right). I understand that and it's really sad to see new divers go through things that shake their confidence. That's not what you should get out of the training.

I gather you're certified now so instead of looking back, let's look forward a bit. Now that you are certified, how will you approach diving with your son? How will approach communicating with your instructor in futher scuba courses you want to take? What expectations do you have of your buddy and/or people you're diving with in terms of watching out for each other and of you?

I'm curious about how this experience shaped the way you view going about things in the future.

R..

Really? This is your case now?
maybe you should of been there teaching everyone how to do everything right.
How about you find another thread to hijack

I am not instructor, nor do I know anything about the dive shop you have disparaged on this thread (you seem to think I know and support them in some way as per posts you have made earlier), I'm in NY on the opposite side of the country and have never dived in California.

My posts are on topic, and are in regard to complications you experienced on this dive as well as what might be a healthy attitude with which to pursue Scuba diving and the training required to obtain a certification.

Like I said, there were probably errors on both parts. You have had a lot of really bad things to say about the Dive Op, who is not able to give their description of the events that transpired; however you seem rather "reluctant" to accept that you might also be at fault here.

So back to my question. Was it ever suggested to you that you enter the water wearing your fins?

I gather you're certified now
R..

No, that is not the case. The Op has at least one more OW certification dive to complete.

Let's just move this along a bit shall we?

Gioria, I didn't read all of the posts on this thread but I read the first part when you first started it and I just read the last part.

Clearly there were some real issues with things like logistics and supervision that were far from "tight" and that concerns you, and it should. Clearly as a beginning diver you rely on your instructors to make sure you're learning in a safe controlled environment and you feel that they were not providing it for you (if I read you right). I understand that and it's really sad to see new divers go through things that shake their confidence. That's not what you should get out of the training.

I gather you're certified now so instead of looking back, let's look forward a bit. Now that you are certified, how will you approach diving with your son? How will approach communicating with your instructor in futher scuba courses you want to take? What expectations do you have of your buddy and/or people you're diving with in terms of watching out for each other and of you?

I'm curious about how this experience shaped the way you view going about things in the future.

R..

We are not certified.. see the thread headline lol..

fail!
That actually meant failed, basically because neither of us finished. My son actually did 4 full dives but they require 6 at that dive shop. I'm unclear about that as well- because he signed off on all his skills. And I know it is only 4 dives plus the snorkel- most are saying.

Myself I did two, because that first day after the two dives he wouldn't go back in, and the next day- the water conditions were poor, unfortunately a wave caught me and an instructor we both went under.

So I need to finish more dives but im unsure about him. And I'm looking to see what I can do.. I left that shop last night- told them I wanted a referral or my files? I am a little unsure what I need to do. I was going to wait a few days and see what info I could find to make the best choice.

I love being under water :) freakn awesome! Cant wait to finish!

thank you btw

NO really how people want to take my posts I can not control, I am putting my experience out there for others to learn from...

Party on with it-

Back
Top Bottom