Faber Tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Faber 72 that I bought used after the first field hydro. The shop or prior owner did apply some wihite touch-up paint to the stamped area and it is doing fine in larely salt water usage.

It's hard to beat hot dipped galvanized for long term durability. I would not lump the epoxy finished Fabers in with the garden vartiey painted AL80.

To save over 25% o the set I would certainly consider buying the Faber but it really should come down to the optimal cylinder properties in terms of capacity, pressure, proportion and buoyancy. If you sacrifice any of these for $$ you will tarnish the rest of the investment.

I would not put much stock in the assertion that the heat of hot dipping damages the cylinder. Hot dipped cylinders that are older than dirt continue to meet requirements.

Pete

I think Faber does not hot dip because it is incredibly damaging to the environment. Also I wonder what european divers think of them, because it seems to me that is there de-facto cylinder.

I think Faber does not hot dip because it is incredibly damaging to the environment. Also I wonder what european divers think of them, because it seems to me that is there de-facto cylinder.

I think that may be because Faber is in Italy, and Worthington is in Canada?

it's more of a European 'de-facto' cylinder because they are made in Italy.

Shipping Economics. It's cheaper to get the Faber Cylinder in the US a lot of the time, then compare the cost of shipping a Worthington across the ocean from Canada.

It prices Worthington out of the game in Europe when you add both factors together.

I know they are made in Italy, and thats why they are standard. I meant I wonder what they think of them over there. I'm really happy with my faber, I debated a long time between the two companies, but the buoyancy characteristics fabers just couldn't be beat. I think that a modification every one should make to there boots is to enlarge the hole with a power drill and saw.

I know they are made in Italy, and thats why they are standard. I meant I wonder what they think of them over there. I'm really happy with my faber, I debated a long time between the two companies, but the buoyancy characteristics fabers just couldn't be beat. I think that a modification every one should make to there boots is to enlarge the hole with a power drill and saw.

You're really picking at nits between Faber and Worthington. I went with PSTs because they seem to trim out incredibly well for me, but I wouldn't be crying if my tanks came from either of the other manufacturers.

I say get rid of the boots completely. The only thing they do is trap salt water and accelerate corrosion.

I really didn't even know PST was an option, as far the boot goes, I'm keeping it, the tank wont stand up without it, plus it protects the bottom from scrapes, and paint chipping. I wash the cylinder thoroughly in warm water after every day of diving, take off the boot dry the bottom and put the boot back on

I tend to agree Gombessa, they are both very good cylinders, its just a personal choice which you prefer.

As for HDG I think it dos have its advantages, but, to be honest, we have 160 Faber cylinders in our company, not one has ever failed test.
Because we are a commercial operation we are compelled by local law to have a visual check every 6 months and a hydro test every 4 years - never an issue.

HDG will last a liftime, no doubt, but the finish on the Fabers is very durable, with a little care (every 6 months we check and touch up nicks etc) its really not an issue.

Something we found quite helpfull was, we prevent a lot of cylinder scratches and nicks by covering the cylinder in a heavy duty pre cut to size netting (diamond design) sock - not that plastic mesh thats so common - thats junk - this is a sort of woven netting - very inexpensive you could change it annually if you wanted to ($6-10 bucks) and protects the cylinder a lot from the day to day dings.

Back
Top Bottom