Faber scuba tanks.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JBRES1

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This is an auction for some Faber 100 cu ft steel tanks.
Is this a good tank ?
Looking at the price , makes it look too good.
""""Faber 100 Cubic Foot 3180 psi Cylinder with SanOSub Nitrox Din / K Valve

Brand New 2004 Manufacture

Faber Steel 100

- 3180 psi with a 10% Overfill Rating to 3,498 psi

- 7.25 inch Diameter

- 24.01" Tank Height

- 38.7 lbs. Tank Weight

- negative 14.76 lbs full / -7.26 lbs empty Buoyancy in salt water

- Triple Coated with spray galvanize, epoxy paint and polyurethane coating

SANOSUB DIN K Nitrox Valve

- Machined Brass

- Chrome Plated

- 232 Bar Din / K Valve for DIN OR Yoke Regulators

- Viton O-rings

- Oxygen Compatible Lubricant

- Easy Grip Valve Handle

- One Piece Saftey Assembly 3500 psi working / 5300 psi burst

Includes Self Draining Boot

THIS IS A SPECIAL CLOSE OUT PRICE – NO ADDITIONAL DISCOUNTS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So what do you think ?
Thanks, Jim Breslin

It sounds like the Scubapro cylinder family we see from time to time, made by faber I believe. As you can see it's a very negative cylinder which can be nice for coldwater diving. With minimal neoprene some warm warer divers could find themselves overweighted before they start.

It's a HP cylinder built in a LP way. With all of that steel odds are the 9 rating will be with it for a loooong time.

For anything less than the going price of an E7-100 or X-100 ($349. ?) it should be a good deal. The only real downside I see id that it's not hot dipped galvanized but that's not a deal breaker.

Pete

You can get the same tank for $210 at TDL:

http://www.techdivinglimited.com

can't get the exact link but click on cylinders and you'll get there.

It is a bit heavy, at -14 pounds or so, but not a bad option with a drysuit, and certainly a good deal.

If that is the auction, it looks like TDL is blowing out some older stock, to answer your question about it being "too good of a deal" TDL is well-respected (I believe the owners are on this board) and they have a good reputation. I bought a MP 120 from them a while back, shipped quickly showed up in good shape and would do business with them again.

To me, it comes down to the extra weight of these tanks, not a good or a bad thing, just something to consider when buying them. Ask yourself if they'll work for the type of diving you do.

Ahh the catch, albeit minor is that they are 2004 stock so they'll need a hydro in about 3 years instead of 5. If they are per the RedHeads link.

Shipping to me is almost $70 but I'm worst case.

If you can get them home for $250 that's good.

Pete

When you look at the specs of the Faber Steel 100 above you can see then when taken as a whole it's not really a heavy tank for the "complete diver".

If you consider the E7-100 as a bench mark it weighs 33 pounds empty and is -1 negative in buoyancy. Since this represents one pound off of the weight belt we can say:
33-1 = 32

The Faber Steel 100 specs yeild the equation:
38.7- -7.26 - 31.44

In the end the diver ends up within .6 pounds total weight.

Being a very negative tank it may be ideal for back inflate/ wing divers who may want to be back biased in their weighting while on the surface.

Pete

Gee, if I'm not careful I'll be buying two!

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]It is a tough business world.... Joel's shipping charge was about $30 per HP tank to mid-west....[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]I got the following email from TDL today:[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Don't miss out on this opportunity get the FABER Tank at a SPECIAL PRICE. These are ALL BRAND NEW 2004 or 2005 manufacture in box. Factory clean for nitrox/oxygen service, with VIP.
Faber is the #1 Steel Cylinder requested by divers worldwide.[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]All Faber cylinders are triple coated for durability. First they are spray galvanized, then epoxy painted, and then coated with polyurethane for a long lasting finish. All Faber Series Cylinders are DOT and TC rated.

Details and Specifications for each cylinder are on our website. And, you can compare specs on our Tank Specification Matrix.

[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Plan to make doubles ? With every pair of cylinders you order you can purchase the world famous Highland Millworks Bands (TB-700, 725 or 800) for just $100 a pair! Just add it to the shopping cart and we will adjust the price at the back end.[/FONT][/FONT]

[/FONT]
[/FONT]
1prd_tl_cnr.gif
spacer.gif
1prd_tr_cnr.gif
spacer.gif
[URL="http://ih.constantcontact.com/fs052/1101072273778/img/93.jpg?a=1101401209528"]http://ih.constantcontact.com/fs052/1101072273778/img/93.jpg?a=1101401209528[/URL]

Tell them you are an SB member and you can get a discount on doubles. At least I did.

Does any one know how well the "spray galvanize" holds up?

I imagine the "Triple Coated with spray galvanize, epoxy paint and polyurethane coating" requires the epoxy paint and polyurethane coating to protect the spray galvanize, but I am not sure.

Through the years I have seen too many attempts with different coating instead of hot dip galvanized. In the past, IMHO they have all being failures. Rust will always creep under any coating, unless there is a zinc/ galvanic protection boded directly to the steel. I would hope that this triple coating (with the galvanize layer) may hold as well as hot dip galvanize (maybe?).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom