EZ Spring Fin Straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RPanick

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
My wife and I were in Key West and went into the big dive shop there and found some really nice spring straps. Now granted they are a bit pricey at $30 a pair, but they are so comfortable, its worth it. They have a real nice wide rubber pad over the springs, with a loop that makes them easy to grab even with gloves.

The straps come in four sizes, I found I need two sizes for best comfort. My drysuit and cheap dive shoes work with the medium, but I needed a large for my Henderson boots (the ones that actually have a sole you can't feel pebbles through). What's nice is that they can be switched out in seconds because they have snap on connectors, similar to conventional rubber fin straps.

Only bad part is they wouldn't fit my wife's Mares Bolos without shaving down the posts on her fins.

http://shop.diversdirect.com/item/EZ%20Spring%20Fin%20Straps%20(pair)_ID40968

Doesn't seem quite fair to have great diving in Florida and all those dive shops in close proximity. Really spoils a poor northern boy.

Springs are great - Michigan is pretty far north - if you are diving a drysuit you'll wonder why you ever messed with rubber straps to begin with. When I began drysuits I got two dives in before my rubber was replaced with springs. Now every fin I own has a spring on it.

You can make your own for about $25 a pair. Do a search on spring straps and you'll find the threads with order info for the parts.

I saw them in a magazine add and for the money I wouldn't have bothered making our sets. I really like the integrated heel pull handle.

Pete

RPanick:
My wife and I were in Key West and went into the big dive shop there and found some really nice spring straps. Now granted they are a bit pricey at $30 a pair, but they are so comfortable, its worth it. They have a real nice wide rubber pad over the springs, with a loop that makes them easy to grab even with gloves.

The straps come in four sizes, I found I need two sizes for best comfort. My drysuit and cheap dive shoes work with the medium, but I needed a large for my Henderson boots (the ones that actually have a sole you can't feel pebbles through). What's nice is that they can be switched out in seconds because they have snap on connectors, similar to conventional rubber fin straps.

Only bad part is they wouldn't fit my wife's Mares Bolos without shaving down the posts on her fins.

http://shop.diversdirect.com/item/EZ%20Spring%20Fin%20Straps%20(pair)_ID40968

Doesn't seem quite fair to have great diving in Florida and all those dive shops in close proximity. Really spoils a poor northern boy.

Another vote for the EZ spring straps. The pull loop is just so simple to use. They are also very comfortable. IMO rubber straps will go the way of the old horse collar BC's in the not to distant future. Price is the only thing keeping them for becoming standard on all new fins. Thats my 2 cents

I always thought they looked good. I had a family obligation to go to yesterday so I couldn't go with my normal gang to try them out with the dry suit. I probably won't get to try them until mid June when I'm working an Open Water. But I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with them.

Bob

I agree they have some intuitive appeal.
These remind me of the springs made by Apollo, since I think they were the first ones with the pull tab on the heel.

these are also really easy to install...

On the downside, the new springs perpetuate one of the criticisms of the original design, they retain the plastic buckles, which are seen as a weakness...

I just put bungies on to try out this whole "springstrap" craze (it's a fad like the internet I am sure). Boy, does it make a difference. Granted, they aren't spring straps, but it cost me a couple of bucks for the pair and they seem to work really well for me. I even added a pull strap. After two dives, I'm sold.

cmalinowski:
I just put bungies on to try out this whole "springstrap" craze (it's a fad like the internet I am sure). Boy, does it make a difference. Granted, they aren't spring straps, but it cost me a couple of bucks for the pair and they seem to work really well for me. I even added a pull strap. After two dives, I'm sold.

Have a picture?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom