Eyes Open, Eyes Shut: Your Call

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SubMariner

C'est Moi
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
If I have students that have contact lenses or simply prefer to do their mask flooding & clearing (or removal & replacement) with their eyes closed, that's no problem for me.

The only drawback is that less experienced divers may not know when their mask is fully cleared. So I tell the diver I will do this:

If the mask is not empty, I tap the lens of the mask.
If the is empty, I tap the diver on the shoulder.

Works pretty well. :)

DSDO,

~SubMariner~

but how about afterwards??

I'm always pointing out that my students need be responsible for themselves....

-=>Larry<=- once bubbled...
but how about afterwards??

I'm always pointing out that my students need be responsible for themselves....

SubMariner

How are they going to do this without you around at a later date? There is not always going to be someone there to tell them their mask is still a bit flooded. As a contact wearer myself, you can feel water on your face if there is any in the mask. They need to get used to this or they might panic a bit at depth, loose a contact and really be confused as they have never experienced this before since you were there to assist them.

Isn't the point of the drill to prepare for open water? What happens when they get their mask knocked off and have to either look for it with their eyes open or have to get out the spare and put it on. More than likely this will not be an out of the blue "oops my mask came off" thing, and there isn't going to be someone there to tap them on the mask.

Diversauras once bubbled...
Isn't the point of the drill to prepare for open water? What happens when they get their mask knocked off and have to either look for it with their eyes open or have to get out the spare and put it on. More than likely this will not be an out of the blue "oops my mask came off" thing, and there isn't going to be someone there to tap them on the mask.

Oh come on and use some common sense. Helping a student to not loose contacts during an OW class is not the same as what you're saying. Geez people. This all or nothing crap is really a PITA.

MechDiver once bubbled...

Oh come on and use some common sense. Helping a student to not loose contacts during an OW class is not the same as what you're saying. Geez people. This all or nothing crap is really a PITA.

Common sense that is, that if you are going to dive with contacts and you might loose a mask, or have it displaced, and that you might have to open you eyes undewater. I'd rather have the students have the experience for the first time in the pool, but of course you can teach your students whatever you want.

Another thing to think about is that when doing mas R & R midwater it's harder with your eyes closed so it might not be a bad idea to practice this way.

If you only practice kneeling on the bottom you might be hosed if it happens for real no matter eyes open or closed.

I think students should have to do it midwater without loosing it before their through. how they keep from loosing their contacts isn't my main concern. My main concern is making sure they won't fall apart on a dive when they have a mask come off.

Diversauras once bubbled...

Common sense that is, that if you are going to dive with contacts and you might loose a mask, or have it displaced, and that you might have to open you eyes undewater. I'd rather have the students have the experience for the first time in the pool, but of course you can teach your students whatever you want.

What? Have the **experience** of losing a $100 pair of contacts so you can prove something thats pretty well self-evident?

You might pass along to your students that they keep spare contacts with them on the boat or dive kit, so if they should happen to lose them, they'll be able to survive. That, at least, would be helpful information.

But, you do what you want. I'm sure you know best
:rolleyes:

MechDiver once bubbled...

MechDiver

What's a PITA?:confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom