Eyedrops for Near-Vision Issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Litefoot

Contributor
Reaction score
Got a checkup at the eye doctor today. All went well, but like most of us getting older, my near-vision is getting worse. He mentioned a new eyedrop (Vuity) which provides a temporary (6 hour) relief of farsightedness. Of course I thought about its application in diving. I could get a dose before a dive, see my SPG clearly (for once) without having to squint! Well, I tried a drop in each eye. After about 30 minutes I could read small print again without assistance! But it only lasted about 90 minutes. But I'm way past the 40-55 most effective age range. Maybe someone younger than me might find this useful.

There are a number of side effects (it's also been around forever it's just clever marketing now), plus the way it works is problematic for diving. All it does is constrict your pupils, just like closing the aperture on a camera it increases the depth of field and brings more things into focus. But that also greatly reduces the amount of light getting in. So any increase in sharpness is offset by the loss of light.

Yeah I might use some so I can see the address of the Lasik place

Rather than drugs, which do have side effects, I’d recommend the SeawiscopeEY. I have been using this set of flip-up lenses for about 11 years now, and as a 77 year-old really like them.

The problem with the drug to decrease the opening of the iris of the eye, your eyes are then not adaptable to dark. So if your light goes out, you’ll be in the dark (unless you are in well-lite tropical waters). So I’d stay away from the drugs.

SeaRat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom