Exposure protection?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grazie42

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,
I´ll be travelling from Sweden to Florida for some "serious" diving. My question is, what kind of exposure protection do you need? Also, is there a thermocline that I might need to take into consideration?

I´ll be doing a wreckcourse and a rec trimix course if that helps you get some idea...

I´ll be diving from june 10th to 16th...

Around that time the water should be rather warm - In the summer I was diving .5mm full or 3mm full and that seemed to be fine - Usually at depths from 50' to 100'. Diving deeper I would probably suggest a 3mm and that should provide adequate protection and warmth during the summer months. Winter months I used a 5/4mm that was perfect for the cooler temps.

That's about the size of it. A 3mm is a good choice for year round diving in So. Fla. If the water is above 84F, a 1mm is perfect. In the wintermonths, I might use a 2mm vest with a beanie hood, or if the water is below 69F, a 3mm shorty on top...

Today in the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area, surface temp is now 81. I wore skins last weekend, however I did not go very deep. I would guess a 3mm should be suffice. What part of Florida are you travelling to? If you are diving anywhere other than southeast Florida, its gonna be a bit cooler.

If in S. Florida on the 12th, join us for the reef sweep...loads of fun....

Just got back from Key Largo Last week. Water temp was 80 top to bottom. I and my son both dove 3mm shorties for 4 days of diving and were very comfortable. However we are Maryland Quarry divers and usually dive in 40 degree water with drysuits, so anything above 70 is warm to us.

Scubasw...I´m from Sweden, temps during winter months are between 30 & 40 F here...we usually start diving wet around 50F (7mm wetsuits).

Thanks for the good advice, I´ll propably bring a 5mm, that being the thinnest I can get hold of...

Scuba Jenny: I will be stayin in Miami and though I´m taking courses thru most of the week it would be nice to do a few "fun" dives as well. What, where, when and how do I get in on the reef sweep? (Feel free to PM me with the info)

ScubaJenny I just saw the other thread and asked the question there...feel free to pm me with the info anyway as I´m not sure about what kinda replies I´ll get on that other thread...

Thanks for bringing the sweep to my attention!

grazie42:
SNIP...Thanks for the good advice, I´ll propably bring a 5mm, that being the thinnest I can get hold of...
Depending on your tolerance to HEAT that may be too warm. Perhaps planning on spending $40 on a cheap pair of skins would be a good investment for the shallow dives. Skins are a good idea to avoid nasty cuts and fire coral.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom