Exposure protection for Malyasia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I worn a 0.5mil when I went to Sipadan-Mabul-Kapalai in Dec '04. I didn't remember it to be extremely cold. In case someone asks, I have never dived in cold water, only in warm tropic waters.

Hi Zippsy,

The only place I have dived in warm water is the Solomon's where the water temp was 30C. As I mentioned, I was getting cold by the end of the week there in only my P2, so I think I will need some extra protection for Mabul & Sipadan.

Mel

Cold in 30C?? You need some warmer blood.

Based on that and what you were wearing, I'd suggest using a 3mm full suit then add on only if you have to - but I doubt you will need it. As David said, maybe add a hood first, if you are still feeling cold. If that is not enough, rent a thin shorty to go over your 3mm suit and then stick some hot coals inside.

LOL...thanks zippsy :) I'll try to find some water proof coals!

Really it was only as I was entering the water that I noticed it was 'cold' and this was after about 6 days of diving. Once I got moving I was ok, but if i stayed in one place to take photos then I would start to feel it again. Considering I will be doing about 17 dives in Mabul & Sipidan I think the 3mm is the way to go too.

Mel

Mel.B:
3mm is the way to go too.Mel

Full 3mm is the way to go, with a hooded vest for backup when you do feel cold. Was there in Nov and will be back next month.

Mabul/Kapalai are really shallow dives so it doesn't get too cold, Sipadan might get a bit chilly for warm water divers like myself (24C, grrrrrrrhhh).

Mel.B:
Hi Zippsy,

The only place I have dived in warm water is the Solomon's where the water temp was 30C. As I mentioned, I was getting cold by the end of the week there in only my P2, so I think I will need some extra protection for Mabul & Sipadan.

Mel
Everybody's body reacts differently; seeing that you *know* you tend to get cold while others are comfortable, take the 3mm for sure, but don't leave your P2 behind. You can always layer it under the 3mm for added warmth. Make sure to take a lightweight hood (with vent holes in the top, unlike some made for surfers), too. If you wear full-foot fins, take some dive socks so that your feet aren't bare. There's no restriction on glove use in Sipadan, so a pair of lightweight gloves might be welcome as well. The advantage to having so many different bits and pieces is that you can add or subtract as needed :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom