Exposure protection for Malyasia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mel.B

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I've done a search, but only came up with bali. What exposure protection would you recommend for Mabul & Sipidan in Dec? I have a P2 suit, but read that Sipidan can be prone to thermoclines, so I'm thinking that a 3mm might be best?

Thanks,
Mel

expect water temps from 78 F -80 F(25.5 C - 27 C). I would think that a 3mm full suit would be the most you would consider but it all depends on how you respond to that temp. (I wonder if this post will get censored too?)

Zippsy:
expect water temps from 78 F -80 F(25.5 C - 27 C).

That's about right. A 3mm suit should be more than enough for most people.

Mel.B:
Hi,

I've done a search, but only came up with bali. What exposure protection would you recommend for Mabul & Sipidan in Dec? I have a P2 suit, but read that Sipidan can be prone to thermoclines, so I'm thinking that a 3mm might be best?

Thanks,
Mel

I routinely dive Malaysian waters in a .5mm full body neoporene wetsuit with a surfer's titanium-lined .5 mm "radiator" shirt underneath (http://www.radiatoroz.com/general/shop.aspx?option=products&type=1). Every once in a while I'll hit a thermocline and get a little chill, but in general, the water is so warm that a little protection goes a long way. The thermoclines are brief and usually not a big problem. Lots of locals wear 3 mm suits, but they wear jackets and jeans to walk around Kuala Lumpur in 95 degree weather, too.

Mel.B:
Hi,

Thanks,
Mel

Hi Mel,
I did Sipadan / Mabul last december with 3mm - since I don't have any natural protection, I get often very cold. I would take the 5mm with me next time.
On the otherhand: you can rent a shorty to wear on top of a 3mm if needed.

According to the post, Mel B is going from London to Malaysia, so perhaps acustomed to a cold environment.

3 mm should be enough.

Was near Sipadan once in July 2004 and another time in September 2004. Did not use my 3mm. Just dived in my lycra or neoprene vest.

If you are sensitive to the cold, wear a hood. Since our head has a large network of poorly insulated blood vessels, we lose a lot of heat from there; so a hood would help.

Hi,

I am accustom to cold water but not in London :) I'm from Victoria in OZ where I dive in a 7mm all year round. Really need a dry suit for winter but oh well!

I went to the Solomon's last year in June and only wore a P2 suit. I found that by the end of the week I was getting cold as I entered the water but was ok after a while. Since the trip to Mabul & Sipidan will have nearly double the number of dives I did in the Solomon's I'm thinking I will need slightly more protection. I don't want anything too bulky to pack though, as I have to take it to London for a fortnight before going to Mabul. Can you get suits that are between a P2 and a 3mm. I want something that is fully body.

Thanks,
mel :)

If you are coming via Singapore on Monday - Saturday there are a few dive shops here and not spread all over Singapore. 3 shops in Lucky Plaza but you have to be careful of their prices. 3 shops in Concourse. The rest are dotted here and there.

Generally you can find what ever you want between these two places that are about 10 to 15 min away by taxi.

To be honest, I understand P2 - protection factor 2 but it means nothing to me. I know there is 0.5 mm, 1 mm, 1.5 mm, 2 mm and 3 mm etc.

Some suits are hybrids where they mix 2mm and 3mm, and I guess that would be between P2 and 3mm.

I was doing 3 to 4 dives a day with average bottom times of 90 min, everyday day night dive for 10 days. I would be hot in my 3 mm. There definately are thermoclines, but short lived cold spells. I would rather be comfortable 80% of dive and just bare with the 20% of short cold spells.

Then again, sometimes I just dive with my trunks and no lycra or vest. Then again perhaps my FAT level is high so I can withstand the cold.

Based on your cold water experience, I think all you need is a 3/2 mm and a hood just in case. Bare used to make these 3/2 type of suits, not sure if they still do. Is Bare Canadian?

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I am going via KL and don't really have enough time between flights to do anything. I'll have to have a look around here in OZ and see what I can find.

A P2 suit (as far as I know) is just lyrca.

Mel

Mel, have you ever been diving in places where the coldest water temperature is between 25.5C and 27C? What did you wear then? Were you cold or hot? That should tell you what to wear around Sipadan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom