Exploring Panic...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm an experienced diver (since 1987) in Virginia Beach and I've never felt uncomfortable in the water- until recently. A novice diver on a hang-bar kicked the mask off my face and the regulator out of my mouth. For a split second I was disoriented and in the confusion almost inhaled a chest cavity full of water. Something told me to relax and assess the situation (good instruction and training?). I thought- "My reg is in reach and my mask is still on my head- everything is okay." I calmly dipped my shoulder, felt for my reg, put it in my mouth and readjusted my mask. Although a minor incident, for me THIS WAS A REALLY INSTRUCTIONAL MOMENT. I now know WHY people inhale water. It's a reflex, and if you don't have your wits about you, the reflex takes control. Stopping and thinking is critical. We read about it, and we're drilled to stop and think in problematic situations, but it's not always that easy.

Ironically, when confronting danger, the human mind often goes into fight or flight panic mode. Logic and reason flee, and insanity takes over- ie., inhaling water,flailing, kicking, and sometimes taking on superhuman strength that can be detrimental to ourselves or those around us.

For whatever reason, the highly evolved human brain doesn't automatically apply its God-given intellect to think its way out of sudden danger.

As divers, we must train our brains to cast emotion aside, remain calm and think. This kind of thinking can save lives.

Tommy Griffiths

Yep: unexpected events like those provide the best learning experiences.

It hammers home why it’s important to practise skills regularly until the reaction and muscle memory are in place. Too many divers only practise their skills during their initial course.

There’s a big difference between an unexpected event like yours, and the anticipated event found in most training drills.

The former requires the diver to stop, think and then act, and may occur at an inopportune time. The later is just mimicry of the instructor in a safe environment.

Good to see you remained calm: If I was you I’d try to have it happen a few more times until it becomes a non-issue. If you dive regularly you will have your mask and/or reg knocked off quite often - it happens to me around every 50 normal dives or so, or 12 times a dive if I’m doing some hazing with my buddies.

How many dives have you done BTW – your profile says 50-99?

Cheers,
Rohan

Sounds like Tommy learned a valuable lesson. It's a very good idea to practice skills, especially no mask breathing, until they become automatic.

as a warm up for a dive... try to do a mask remove/replacement at the beginning of each day you dive. the fresh water will wake you up and get you alarmed, yet more confident!

As a newbie in the pool the toughest thing for me was making the mental realization that breathing and seeing were two independent actions and I didnt need one to do the other...

as a warm up for a dive... try to do a mask remove/replacement at the beginning of each day you dive. the fresh water will wake you up and get you alarmed, yet more confident!

Easy for you to say in California! I'd prefer not to do that in our often 38F water unless necessary! :wink:

Easy for you to say in California! I'd prefer not to do that in our often 38F water unless necessary! :wink:

Well it certainly would alarm you and wake you up :D

Sure, 38F in the summer.. but what about the rest of the year when it gets colder and we have to start wearing wetsuits and stuff :eyebrow:

Yes, our Ontario water certainly would alarm me and wake me up.

In all seriousness though, it is a good idea to regularly practice ALL the skills we learned so they are routine when they occur...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom