Exploding Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Eddy current test done on AL tanks makes the imperceptible cracks a little easier to perceive. It's not really a problem Read this for more info about Eddy current testing. Also, the number of tanks that have had SLC is minute compared to the number of tanks manufactured out of 6351 alloy.

Yeah but you gotta admit that it's a cool pictures - just about the neatest, tidiest 6351 burst I've ever seen. Looks like all it would take to get the tank back into service would be a bit of crazy glue.

miketsp:
6351 alloy is a well discussed topic on SB.
Check out these threads for more info...

oxyhacker:
Yeah but you gotta admit that it's a cool pictures - just about the neatest, tidiest 6351 burst I've ever seen. Looks like all it would take to get the tank back into service would be a bit of crazy glue.

I thought the same thing... looks more like it just 'fell' apart rather then exploded. However falling apart probably would not have damaged the shed walls, aye!

I have a Luxfer 6351 alloy tank manufactured back in 1987. It's a personal tank that only gets occasional use and luckily, I suppose, it's typically stored after a dive with 500-1000 lbs. Anyway, it's in immaculate condition and just passed a hydro test last week, so I plan to use it for good while longer-- no worries. :)

where's whalerkyle when you need him? :D

Enigmatic:
I have a Luxfer 6351 alloy tank manufactured back in 1987. It's a personal tank that only gets occasional use and luckily, I suppose, it's typically stored after a dive with 500-1000 lbs. Anyway, it's in immaculate condition and just passed a hydro test last week, so I plan to use it for good while longer-- no worries. :)

My buddy just purchased two such tanks, O2 cleaned, new Hydro, New Vis, the tanks are in immaculate condition, and guess what? He can NOT get them filled.

The LDS's here have a list of *don't fill under any circumstance" tanks, and his are on it.

If you can get yours filled more power to you (then again this could be a Darwin award in the making), but IMO avoid these tanks at all costs if looking to make a purchase and IMO even if you have one that you *think* is fine.

The facts are in, more than a few of these have exploded, and Luxfer even had a trade-in timeframe, but that expired long ago.

Most of the LDS's here opt for the more common sense approach and will fill any tank with a current VIP and hydro. Luxfer offered the trade-in program for those who wanted to trade them in because there were so many sensationalist stories flying around about exploding tanks. Neither Luxfer, nor even the DOT, has issued a ban or recall on these tanks for a very good reason-- they are plenty safe when inspected/tested properly and regularly.

Interestingly, it looks as if the tank in the photo was shot... there looks to be a hole in the piece the man is holding and another in the opposite side of the tank. Also of note is the "cone" shaped neck which is indicative of the old tanks from the 70's that were made of *extruded* aluminum-6351. If that's the type pictured, these were banned for use in the US a long time ago.

Back
Top Bottom