Exploding scuba tank kills one - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few new twists in that article.

Is it just me, or is that an odd way to put it: That the regulator was missing from the tank.

I've only rented tanks so in that case of course I set them up when I get to the site, but if one is getting tank(s) ready for a dive at home, and going to put them in the car to drive to the dive site, would one normally mount the reg to the tank then? Would it be different for a stage/pony/deco bottle?

I can see the investigators wanting the regulator for various reasons; it just struck me funny that they made it sound like they expected it to have been mounted to the tank. Maybe just an odd wording in the article :idk: Or maybe people normally do mount the reg to a stage or pony before leaving home and I don't know about it since I don't own my own tanks (?).

Thanks for posting the new article, Don.

Blue Sparkle

I rig my pony like a stage bottle. The reg get's mounted before I leave the house. My primary cylinder it get's mounted at the dock, st the site or on the boat.
Although I'm not sure how it would be relevant, unless the reporter actually meant valve.

I'm curious how the presence or absence of a regulator could have a bearing on what happened ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm curious how the presence or absence of a regulator could have a bearing on what happened ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If it's just a regulator, not a darned thing.

Now, if the valve be attached to that there regulator . . . :hm:

Whether I put my regs on at home or at the site depends upon a number of things. If you are not a tech diver, you cannot believe how long setting up a full set of gear for a tech dive can take. It often makes much more sense to have it all done before you leave the house. I did a whole lot of deco diving in south Florida last spring, and I had all of it set up ahead of time more often than not.

I like to build up all my gear at home, and if I have to travel a long way I'll "unbuild" it into my baggage.

This helps reduce the chance of leaving something I need behind.

If I'm diving a short drive from home I'll leave it built and very well secured in the back of my truck.

This not only helps assure I have what I need, but it also saves time at the dive site.

Tobin

This

My Deco bottle is rigged same as stage also.
It is in my Scuba room completely assembled.
(Less a turn or two on the DIN fitting)

The whole thing is O2 cleaned and
that particular reg only flows O2 to
further eliminate contamination.

Bring it and finding out that you screwed up and forgot the O2 reg is not good.
Especially if someone needs it post dive.It always travels to dive sites.
Even when the planned dive doesn't require it to get wet.
You just never know when it may be handy/needed.
If I could predict the future with any king of accuracy,
I would play lotto more often. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom