Exploding scuba tank kills one - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
CNN.com - Breaking News, U.S., World, Weather, Entertainment & Video News

Dolores clearly says there was no flame, or smoke. It looked like a cloud of steam.
I see no indication there was any ignition in the photos available.

So far, we have no confirmation of ignition, except for that one that says there were burns on the victim. The "steam" could have been the chalky dust from the damaged wall and ceilings' wallboard.

See Post 135.

ST. PETERSBURG — A witness getting his morning newspaper told police he saw a bright flash when a scuba tank exploded early Sunday morning.

The man holding the tank, avid diver Russell Vanhorn II, suffered what appeared to be burns in the blast that took his life and destroyed the condo he was standing in, according to St. Petersburg police.

Reported on another forum, a dive shop owner reportedly said

"That tank that exploded 9/11/11 is one I refused to fill for safety reasons. The victim was a personable young man. I wish he had chosen not to get the tank filled elsewhere. The police were here bright and early this morn."

followed by​

"His tanks were made of an AL alloy, 6351, used in AL tanks between 1972 to 1987. SOme tanks were made in the first half of 1988. Thus an AL tank with an original hydro of 6/88 or earlier is treated as a 6351. One manufacturer, Walter Kidde, used the alloy through 1989. We checked the original hydro date and manufacturer to determine if it may be a 6351 tank. When in doubt we assume it is"

I make no claims to the veracity or accuracy of this information, either. However, if true, it sounds like the police did a good job, and that proper safe practices and procedures were in place at this dive shop, and points to diver misjudgement in getting a fill elsewhere.

Last edited:
Whether that was the case here or not, 6351 tanks need to be removed from the sport. They currently require extra testing, but still - too dangerous for me.

Pure oxygen to blame in SCUBA tank explosion?

OMG -- if you ever wanted to see news inaccuracy in action!

ST. PETERSBURG --

Officials investigating the deadly explosion of a SCUBA tank are trying to pinpoint the cause of that blast.

According to Bay News 9's partner newspaper the St. Petersburg Times, officials are examining that pure oxygen may have played a role.

St. Pete Fire Rescue officials said the SCUBA tank explosion inside the home literally blew the man, who was later identified as Russell Vanhorn, out of his home, killing him. Not out . . .

Officials said the blast occurred in the Park View Condominiums at 5865 37th Ave. N around 7 a.m. Sunday as Vanhorn prepared to go diving with his friends.

Vanhorn was on his way out of the front door when the tank blew up. The force of the explosion threw Vanhorn into his front yard. Everything else says he was blown back inside.

Vanhorn was rushed to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Officials said the nature of the blast suggests that the tank was filled with pure oxygen, which is much more explosive. Most divers use compressed air in their tanks. Oxygen doesn't burn, it needs a catalyst.

Pure oxygen, officials said, is used for deeper diving. No, I think it is used for decompressing . . . well, it is used in CCRs for deeper diving.

The investigation is ongoing.

Whether that was the case here or not, 6351 tanks need to be removed from the sport. They currently require extra testing, but still - too dangerous for me.

Really? Extra testing can deem a 6351 as safe?

Really? Extra testing can deem a 6351 as safe?

It is my understanding that they give extra attention to the neck of the cylinder. I owned two of them, and could technically still be using them, but even with extra testing some shops refuse to fill them. Who wants to drive somewhere to dive only to be turned away because they wont fill your tanks (it was a good excuse to buy new steels anyhow)

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom