Exploding scuba tank kills one - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those investigating the incident at this point know quite a bit by now. However, as with most if not all ongoing investigations, preliminary evidence isn't presented to the public during the investigation.

Why have they not asked those he was going diving with what he had in the tank?

Or perhaps it has been asked and not published...

[speculation]

He was carrying the tank, opening the door, when he fumbled the tank. Perhaps landed on its valve; something caused the tank to split. This would explain the screen door 50' away, the blown out car windows, and the victim back inside the condo with the tank in the ceiling, as well as the blown-out condo windows.

[/spectulation]

The tank was found split down the middle from top to bottom, lodged overhead in what was left of the kitchen ceiling. The blast shattered drywall and ceiling, collapsed walls, smashed furniture, blew out the doors and windows and damaged cars in the parking lot.

Why have they not asked those he was going diving with what he had in the tank?

Or perhaps it has been asked and not published...

Perhaps they were non-divers and had no idea what was in the tank.

[speculation]

He was carrying the tank, opening the door, when he fumbled the tank. Perhaps landed on its valve; something caused the tank to split. This would explain the screen door 50' away, the blown out car windows, and the victim back inside the condo with the tank in the ceiling, as well as the blown-out condo windows.

[/spectulation]

Doesn't need the tank to split. IF it contained O2 dropping it could open the valve. The HP O2 could ignite whatever it hit. (carpet,dust,whatever)

Has happened before.

Cave Excursions
http://www.sidemount.com/?page_id=125

Doesn't need the tank to split. IF it contained O2 dropping it could open the valve. The HP O2 could ignite whatever it hit. (carpet,dust,whatever)

Has happened before.

Cave Excursions

The article I quoted said "The tank was found split down the middle from top to bottom, lodged overhead in what was left of the kitchen ceiling. "

I remember one article saying the bomb squad drained the other tanks. Evidence lost again. I do hope they checked pressures and O2 levels when they did.

The article I quoted said "The tank was found split down the middle from top to bottom, lodged overhead in what was left of the kitchen ceiling. "

Ah,I see your point.

My supposition is the valve opened,and the O2 fueled a fierce fire that ruptured the tank. But obviously that's a complete guess.

I remember one article saying the bomb squad drained the other tanks. Evidence lost again. I do hope they checked pressures and O2 levels when they did.

While the pressure in the other tanks would give some indication of the habitual fill habits, what really matters is *this* AL40.

While the pressure in the other tanks would give some indication of the habitual fill habits, what really matters is *this* AL40.
Correct, but I doubt you can test much on this tank...?

Not pressure or exact content anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom