Explain this term often used in DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Kendall and Sparticlebrain (what does that mean, anyway) for helping us correct a little slice of history!

So, Parker Turner may have come up with the term (unless he got it from someone else) and George Irvine III simply became the mouthpiece on the Inernet that popularized the term around the world.

When I here the word used in a serious way, I perceive it with the same derogatory connotations that karstdiver has assigned to it from the era of the old Cave list and Tech list.

Christian

headhunter:
Sparticlebrain (what does that mean, anyway)
When I was in high school my senior year, I would occasionally go to "Xboxathons" at a friend's house--hours and hours of 16 guys playing capture the flag for Halo. I wasn't creative enough to come up with a good Halo name other than "Charles".
A while later I was watching a special on TV about String Theory. From what I got out of the program, a Sparticle is essentially the opposite of a particle. (someone correct me if I'm wrong). A Brane, short for "membrane" is supposedly what our universe vibrates and exists on. That's as best I can remember since I saw the program probably 4 years ago. :11: Most of that is probably wrong. :rolleyes:

"Sparticle" quickly became my Halo name, and then when Halo 2 came out (allowing for longer screen names), it was upgraded to "SparticleBrane".

Doesn't mean anything in particular...just two random words I put together. :)

Sparticle!!! Are you plotting against me with one of my cats??? At the exact moment that I was reading your post above, one of my cats Buddy went toward his bathroom with the litter boxes and instead of peeing the box, hosed the floor!!! I am sorry, I will not make fun of your name again--just stop talking to my cat behind my back!!!

SparticleBrane:
When I was in high school my senior year, I would occasionally go to "Xboxathons" at a friend's house--hours and hours of 16 guys playing capture the flag for Halo. I wasn't creative enough to come up with a good Halo name other than "Charles".
A while later I was watching a special on TV about String Theory. From what I got out of the program, a Sparticle is essentially the opposite of a particle. (someone correct me if I'm wrong). A Brane, short for "membrane" is supposedly what our universe vibrates and exists on. That's as best I can remember since I saw the program probably 4 years ago. :11: Most of that is probably wrong. :rolleyes:

"Sparticle" quickly became my Halo name, and then when Halo 2 came out (allowing for longer screen names), it was upgraded to "SparticleBrane".

Doesn't mean anything in particular...just two random words I put together. :)
Speaking of "brain"... it's funny how my brain read that as SparticleBrain instead of SparticleBrane.

Maybe this shows a lack of particles in mine!

Thanks for the explanation.

Christian

headhunter:
Thanks Kendall and Sparticlebrain (what does that mean, anyway) for helping us correct a little slice of history!

So, Parker Turner may have come up with the term (unless he got it from someone else) and George Irvine III simply became the mouthpiece on the Inernet that popularized the term around the world.

When I here the word used in a serious way, I perceive it with the same derogatory connotations that karstdiver has assigned to it from the era of the old Cave list and Tech list.

Christian

Surprised nobody brought of the other popular term from that era,and that was "farm animal stupid"

headhunter:

Christian

That's because you're a Stroke! :eyebrow:

karstdvr:
Surprised nobody brought of the other popular term from that era,and that was "farm animal stupid"

Star Wars bar scene.

Oh, and here I thought "farm animal stupid" was another one of Doc Intrepid's coinages. It's become common parlance for me -- I work in an ER.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom