Experienced eyes and too small guages!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How many dives have you done with the stick on lenses? I’ve read many times over that they do not stay on well after repeated dives. If yours have lasted awhile what method did you use to keep them in place other than the glue that comes with the product?

The plastic stick on lenses do not use an adhesive. The method of installation is as I described already here. Yes, I have had them stay on for a long while.

How many dives have you done with the stick on lenses? I’ve read many times over that they do not stay on well after repeated dives. If yours have lasted awhile what method did you use to keep them in place other than the glue that comes with the product?
I got the DiveOptx ones, no glue. Just follow the directions for placement. Think of them as a stronger version of those vinyl holiday window stick ons. I got them Fall 2021 and they've been on some 40 dives since including defogging treatments and cleanouts. No slip, no loss; they've been fine for my needs thus far.

Thanks. Clearly, I should read better. I see now the package on the link says no adhesive. Maybe I need to up the strength on my readers.

I’m near sighted. Have a bifocal prescription mask which is nice (scuba pro d mask) but the near to far line falls just in the wrong spot looking through my camera. Recently swapped the lenses out to experiment with monovision. Distance correction in the right, near correction in the left. Really like it and was easy to get use to. The exact correction is different than my topside glasses so talk to an optometrist.

OK, there are a few of us in here with experienced eyes that have difficulty reading these too small guages. I tried diopter inserts but feel like there are better solutions. My dive buddy carries a small plastic magnifier but that takes too many hands (although I'm considering it). Don't really want to do the prescription mask. Mainly I'm looking for ideas from what solutions you guys have come up with.
I wear multi focal contacts. I have the 2 week ones that I leave in for the whole week on vacation and the whole weekend on local dive trips. I have been wearing contacts while diving for about 23 years and have never lost one or had any other problems with them.

Only $60.00.

Cheaper option:

Buy a new mask with readers and Hyrotac bifocal lens(for travelling in case you need to hire a mask or put them in your old mask and as spare).

I’ve been using stick on readers for several years and have at least 200 dives on them. They occasionally slip and require reapplying but it’s no big deal. I’ll probably get a prescription mask eventually, but the readers work okay for now.

Glass lenses from Trident
UV cure LOCA adhesive.

I tried a single vision +1.5 mask but it seemed to restrict my FOV considerably.

IMG_2020a.jpg

Always worth checking to see if you have cataracts apparently it is far more common in younger people than before. I just had mine done and what a difference, I wish I knew that was the issue sooner. Now to just find a mask that fits :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom