Experienced Divers: What are the most common "oh, crap!" situations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Litefoot

Litefoot

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello. Thanks for letting me ask a basic question. I'm a brand new recently-certified OW diver. I know that buoyancy control may be the most important skill at this point. But my biggest fear is having a panic attack when something goes wrong. In your experience, what is the most likely problem I will face? Right now, in my limited experience, losing my mask is my biggest fear because I struggle keeping water out of my nose. Is that the answer? That is, focus my practice on those scenarios that I already know will likely induce panic. What do you say?

Note: I am reading and learning form the "What would you do?" thread that is pinned at the top of the forum.

Hello. Thanks for letting me ask a basic question. I'm a brand new recently-certified OW diver. I know that buoyancy control may be the most important skill at this point. But my biggest fear is having a panic attack when something goes wrong. In your experience, what is the most likely problem I will face? Right now, in my limited experience, losing my mask is my biggest fear because I struggle keeping water out of my nose. Is that the answer? That is, focus my practice on those scenarios that I already know will likely induce panic. What do you say?

Note: I am reading and learning form the "What would you do?" thread that is pinned at the top of the forum.
Mask issues are probably the most common contributing factor to diver panic. But it's completely avoidable. You just need to practice the hell out of mask clearing, mask removal and replace and breathing without the mask. A pool is the best place for this at the very beginning, but safety stops are good too. Let your buddy know before the dive that you will be practicing on the safety stop. Get neutral first so you don't ascend or descend too much while practicing. Eventually you'll want to do the practice earlier in the dive while you are moving along normally.

I used to do a full flood and clear or remove and replace on every dive. Now, I do it on the first dive of a trip and whenever I want to give my nose a good blow.

Finding a parking spot close enough to your dive spot so you’re not humping your gear a half a mile. While having a specific issue in the water varies and may not be considered likely, parking at good dive spots is always an issue.
Never thought about that, but you are in SoCal, so I'd be thankful just to have that problem.
I haven't lost a mask yet in 900+ dives. I suppose if a strap broke underwater I'd have time to grab the mask before it fell, but who knows. Some divers actually carry a spare mask with them on the dive, but that seems a little overboard. I have had a regulator mouthpiece almost blown out of my mouth in the Gulf of Mexico. I bungee it in my mouth (around my head with the bungee cord)-- also a hedge against problems as I usually dive solo now. I also use a "molded" mouthpiece for comfort.
I try to dive in the best conditions possible-- walk right from car to beach, etc. at my age of 68. I guess my biggest worry is conditions changing and having to crawl out on rocks, which I've done a couple of times recently.
Comforting to know that losing a mask is so rare. I turned 63 just after certifying, so I appreciate the reminder to be careful and watchful. Thanks!
Throwing up in my reg after a particularly rough boat ride and remembering to keep the regular in my mouth. It was also a deciding factor in buying regs after I got my OW cert:)
I certified in 5' seas in the Keys. I got sick on the first trip out. Luckily I was on the surface. Took Bonine that night and the next morning and the second trip was much better. Also, thanks for giving me more reasons justify buying regs.:)
@Litefoot, while monitoring your SPG, take three breaths off your reg and confirm pressure is constant. This should prevent an “oh crap” moment…if done BEFORE you hit the water!
Good idea. Thank you.

Not realizing that I have heinous, multi-colored, slimy dive booger crawling out my nose like an octopus while I’m trying to chat with a/some cute girls while waiting on the boat always spikes my stress level.

Lost mask, broken fin, dead DC battery, OOG…those are easy.

It was not so much gear-related gaffes or failures that have been issues with me; but there have been three or four times in recent years where I have been seriously entangled by monofilament fishing line, often while diving at night — not the most pleasant situation.

As a direct result, I currently carry EMT shears, a sharp-ass dedicated line cutter; and a nasty, serrated Spyderco “harpy“ knife — so far, so good . . .

Forgetting to put on weights before jumping.

I hope you see where this thread is going, though. None of these guffaws are particularly life threatening if you are prepared and keep your calm.

Although the snot on lip scenario is a good example of social death.

Do you have access to a swimming pool? You can practice mask drills in a swimming pool without scuba.

Get a weight belt. I put about 13 # on. Go to the shallow end, mine is 3 1/2 feet. Put your dive mask on. Sit down. Partially flood mask and clear. Stand up. When that is good do full remove and replace and clear underwater and stand up. I would do sets of 10 in between swimming laps.

Next with fins on attach a snorkel to the strap of a pair of swimming goggles. Put the swimming goggles on your forehead, not over your eyes. Kick for 1 minute, then build up to 3 minutes breathing from a snorkel with nothing over your nose or eyes.

There is no reason you can't bring an extra mask with you on your dives. The solo course teaches this.

+1 on the leaving the weights on the boat. If I'm diving in shorts and a t-shirt I have no problem getting down without the weights but around about 1/2 tank I'm fighting to stay down and calling the dive early.

1) jumping in without your drysuit inflator attached

2) trying to stand up once you are fully geared, only to discover the bungee is still attaching your tank to the boat

Back
Top Bottom