Experienced Divers: What are the most common "oh, crap!" situations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Litefoot

Litefoot

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello. Thanks for letting me ask a basic question. I'm a brand new recently-certified OW diver. I know that buoyancy control may be the most important skill at this point. But my biggest fear is having a panic attack when something goes wrong. In your experience, what is the most likely problem I will face? Right now, in my limited experience, losing my mask is my biggest fear because I struggle keeping water out of my nose. Is that the answer? That is, focus my practice on those scenarios that I already know will likely induce panic. What do you say?

Note: I am reading and learning form the "What would you do?" thread that is pinned at the top of the forum.

In your experience, what is the most likely problem I will face?
Finding a parking spot close enough to your dive spot so you’re not humping your gear a half a mile. While having a specific issue in the water varies and may not be considered likely, parking at good dive spots is always an issue.

Not fully zipping up your dry suit.

I haven't lost a mask yet in 900+ dives. I suppose if a strap broke underwater I'd have time to grab the mask before it fell, but who knows. Some divers actually carry a spare mask with them on the dive, but that seems a little overboard. I have had a regulator mouthpiece almost blown out of my mouth in the Gulf of Mexico. I bungee it in my mouth (around my head with the bungee cord)-- also a hedge against problems as I usually dive solo now. I also use a "molded" mouthpiece for comfort.
I try to dive in the best conditions possible-- walk right from car to beach, etc. at my age of 68. I guess my biggest worry is conditions changing and having to crawl out on rocks, which I've done a couple of times recently.

Odds are you will eventually jump in the water without your air on. Hopefully you always mount your tank where you can reach the valve.
@Litefoot, while monitoring your SPG, take three breaths off your reg and confirm pressure is constant. This should prevent an “oh crap” moment…if done BEFORE you hit the water!

@Litefoot, while monitoring your SPG, take three breaths off your reg and confirm pressure is constant. This should prevent an “oh crap” moment…if done BEFORE you hit the water!
I take one hard breath (deep and fast inhale) while monitoring the SPG instead of 3 normal. If the needle drops at all and stays down then your gas is off. If the needle moves more than a tiny quiver (and then returns to the original pressure) then your gas is probably only partially on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom