Experienced diver with newly certified spouse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently took my wife to Puerto Rico for her birthday. I've been suggesting for her to give diving a try. Before we left she said she was ready to give it a go. So I signed her up for a discovery class. She did her instruction/pool work while I went and done a deeper ledge, then I joined her for her discover dive.
Not that I have many dives, but that reef dive with a Max depth of 30' is probably my most memorable dive.
I'm hoping she comes to me telling me she's ready to get certified this summer

That's true Gordon. One of our fun dives last month was in the shallow sandy grassy areas near San Fransisco dive site. We found the star fish my wife had been looking for and all kinds of unique critters that you don't find on the walls. I loved watching her get excited at what we found.
Yes, I've seen tiny seahorses at that very site. It's really cool if you can manage a night dive on that grass bed. Octopi everywhere, big crabs, etc.

That's a great idea! I'll be angling for that on our next trip. Thanks

Threads like this really bring out people's different values/experiences. Some people are very 'companionate' - big on doing lot of things together. I've even seen posts from people who'll hardly dive without each other. Some are less so, and comfortable pursuing separate interests, or separate 'tracks' within an interest. An example would be an avid diver married to a casual recreational diver; the avid diver may dive local cold water, lower viz. and the spouse only in 'tropical aquarium conditions' on vacation.

My point is, whether you should do all your dives together, or whether it's okay to head out on the advanced boat and leave him doing more benign dives on another, boils down you, him and the two of you. What does it 'mean' to each of you. That's very personal.

Richard.

P.S.:

So how'd that end? Did she ever 'catch up' in ability and preference? If not, did you give up ever doing the rides you love, or did you move into a pattern of doing some rides with her (her way) & some without (your way)?[/QUOTE

We only ride together if we are on a tandem!

I agree that each person and couple are different. That's why I can only share my experience in case it has a ring of familiarity. In the case of riding? My wife doesn't ride anymore. So there's that.

I won't get into dives that she's not interested and leave her at home while I go do my thing. I'm at an age where having that thing where we are on a similar path is worth it. We have everything else in our lives where we pursue things that we don't share. Diving and politics are our two biggest shared activities. If she never decides to go in a deep cave, then I won't be going there either but if she changes her mind, count me in with a grin.
I still ride on occasion - like rare occasions :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom