experience level for NC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...For someone with 50-60 dives and some NJ experience I think a Spar/Indra combo out of MHC or a Hyde/Markham trip out of Wilmington would be just fine as an intro to NC diving.

Hell. Some dive masters have less experience :shocked2:
Hyde /Markham was my first ocean dive and about my 8-10th ever. Nice! The conditions were supposed to be 2-3 seas. 4-5 by time we got there and about 6-8 when we came up from the first dive. Went to S*** from there. As Aquatic Safaris posted on their website; the weatherman and forecasts couldn't have been more wrong! Still, it was an enjoyable trip and the experience was one heck of a way to start my diving endeavors.

Tim, I love diving in the Graveyard and whole heartedly recommend it. That said this is not a good environment if your wife has limited Open-Ocean experience. The dives are deep, wreck dives in open ocean (1-2 hrs off shore), with large predators. This area can have current, surge, waves that challenge climbing aboard, limited visibility, and sharks like Sandbars that can be more than just large fish. Sometimes you can get all those conditions in the same dive. Treat your favorite dive buddy right and take things a little slower. You want her to enjoy the sport and putting her in a situation way over her head isn't safe.

I fast tracked through AOW, Nitrox, Rescue, etc and let me tell you, my first deep, Atlantic open-ocean, wreck dive (in almost perfect conditions with out sharks) was frightening and I'm a tough cookie (The Morgan - Virginia Bch). There is nothing wrong with challenging yourself and your dive buddy but you still need a safe progression.

Back
Top Bottom