experience level for NC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wrybosome

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi all,

I've been wanting to do NC since I first heard about the diving there. My wife and I were talking about sharks this morning and when I showed her video of NC she decided we should do a long weekend down there next month and see some sharks. I'd like to go, but don't know what the expectation is for diving experience down your way and have some concerns about her.

I'm naui aow/nitrox, about 60 dives including boat dives in NJ and the Caribbean.

She's OW, 10 dives in the Caribbean and our local quarry. Sensible, comfortable in the water, and not prone to panic but obviously not many dives.

Neither of us expects people to gear us up and lead us around by the hand.

What's the usual low end of experience on the boats down there?
Is it common to see sharks on the shallower inshore wrecks?

Thanks,

Tim

Alot of shops require AOW, or at least 20 logged dives....Preferably ocean dives.

As far as sharks inshore, you'll see them, but not as many as on the deep wrecks.

Communicate with the shop you are diving with and see what they expect.

Ten in the Caribbean is not a lot of experience, but...

If conditions are not weird that day I think y'all could go to the Spar. It's relatively close, upright and easy to navigate. You'll see sharks- almost guaranteed. Might as well do the U352 while you're down, too- also small and easy to navigate. The Indra is inshore and greatly underappreciated.

You realize you are telling a OW diver(the wife) with only 10 dives to do a dive to 80-115 ft right?

My thoughts for her would push towards the Indra, Soluide etc....essentially inshore wrecks only.

Also, you need a plan B. It's not uncommon for us to get blow out and no dive ops are going out, some times for several days.....and trust me, if they don't go, you do not want to go. The Indra is a good first time trip. It's fairly close to shore, not deep and there are often sand tigers on it.

Thanks everybody, I'll discuss it with her and contact some ops. Other than Olympus, do you guys have any reccomendations?

If they were both OW divers with only 10 dives I would whole-heartedly agree with you. But we are adults here and need to make our own informed decisions. I think as long as the op is aware of the experience level they probably won't end up on something that is too much for them that day.

What I'm saying is that she probably doesnt have the training or experiance for deeper wreck dives off NC. 10 Dives aint gonna cut it, and most shops out there wont even take her on a deep trip. Your contention from what i can tell is that the OP is going to be able to handle anything that happens at depth, and that the wife will be able to keep up with the process. Not so much a great idea either.

Another benefit of diving a small easy to navigate site is that it both lessens the likelihood and the consequences of a low on gas situation. Unfortunately, I can say from experience that getting lost and then low on gas or near the NDL (or both) in the middle of the Atlantic is not an altogether pleasant sensation.

OOA Can easily occur when a diver with only 10 dives drops down to 115'.

And for me personally, because of the way I dive them, the Indra at half the depth is more dangerous than the Spar. At the Spar I watch the sharks, at the Indra I always end up exploring the inside of the ship. Don't try this without more experience guys :no:

Yes if you penetrate any wreck it is dangerous....However I dont think this is the case for them. Also, if you were to penetrate the Spar, would it not be more dangerous than penetrating the Indra? Heck I penetrate alot of wrecks, but i didnt when i only had 10 dives under my belt.

I dove the NC wrecks for 7 years. I would start with what they call the "Inshore" wrecks and then move to what they call the "Offshore" wrecks.

What one has to get use to when diving NC are the conditions. The surface may have large rollers mixed with chop. Sometimes there are very strong currents. Sometimes the bottom "surge" is overwhelming.

If the surface rollers are large, getting onto the ladder is difficult. You will need to grab on when it plunges into the water. (protect your teeth)

Your should start NC in the 50-80 feet of sea water range

What I'm saying is that she probably doesnt have the training or experiance for deeper wreck dives off NC. 10 Dives aint gonna cut it, and most shops out there wont even take her on a deep trip. Your contention from what i can tell is that the OP is going to be able to handle anything that happens at depth, and that the wife will be able to keep up with the process. Not so much a great idea either.

Discussed it with her, and she backed off from the trip idea pretty quickly. I had been leaning toward the idea of hiring a DM for the dives to increase her comfort level, but it's looking like I did too good a job describing potential hazards.

*I* will be down this year sometime, though...

OOA Can easily occur when a diver with only 10 dives drops down to 115'.

Yes if you penetrate any wreck it is dangerous....However I dont think this is the case for them.

Her air consumption is actually pretty low, I'd be the gas limiting one. Penetrations are not an issue for us.

Dont have to back out of the trip, just dive within her limits and work your way up to the bigger dives. If nothing else you can have her do her AOW while you are there, and you will still be getting some dives on great wrecks(but with an instructor to watch over her.

I know Olympus will allow her on the deeper wrecks as long as she is a student with an instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom