Experience from first Monterey dives last weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ben Prusinski

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Since I did not have a dive buddy last weekend, I did some orientation dives last Saturday in Monterey at Breakwater with Keith from Bamboo Reef dive shop. Keith was a fantastic guide and have me some great pointers on cold water diving in Monterey. Biggest challenge for me being new to the area and cold water diving was getting used to wearing massive amount of weights (38lbs!) plus heavier gear to dive in Monterey. Second challenge was getting into and out of surf without falling down or getting my butt knocked down. Third was getting fins on/off in heavy surf. Last unique challenge was getting my buoyancy under control since I needed to use short puffs of my BCD to maintain sufficient control at depth. I did have to buy another BCD since my ScubaPro GO was lacking in the required lift for cold water diving. I'll keep the portable ScubaPro Go BCD for travel to warm water overseas trips. It was fun and I actually was not that cold with my 8mm wetsuit and thermals underneath. Only my hands got chilly with 5mm gloves. Had a chance to finally test out my new Atomic B2 reg which breathes like a dream compared to the cheap rental stuff I learned on for OW certification. I look forward to diving more places in Monterey.

Weather was perfect last weekend and tons of divers were out in full force at Breakwater.

Glad you had fun! Cold water diving has its challenges, but Monterey has some of the most beautiful underwater scenery anywhere -- once you get your feet on the ground (so to speak) find a buddy and get Lobos reservations :)

So glad that you got the right kind of introduction to Monterey and cols water diving.

Don't be a stranger!

Thanks and one thing I recommend is a tank gear dolly as hauling heavy tanks 100-300 yards from parking lot to the beach is painful!

Home

Sharkbitescuba makes one that is great for hauling 2 tanks and gear over beach and terrain. Since I plan to do a lot of shore diving, its my next gear purchase.

That is the nice thing about having a professional show you the ropes for cold water diving. All the little tricks make it so much easier, and more fun both above and of course below the water.

Thanks and one thing I recommend is a tank gear dolly as hauling heavy tanks 100-300 yards from parking lot to the beach is painful!
Can you clarify "painful" please? Do your shoulders hurt from the weight? Maybe right by the neck where your BCD rides? Or is it the knees and other body parts?

I used to have a Scubapro Knighthawk that was brutal on the shoulders. Switched rigs and now pack an HP130, with extra lead on it, and a can light, completely comfortably.

Sharkbitescuba makes one that is great for hauling 2 tanks and gear over beach and terrain. Since I plan to do a lot of shore diving, its my next gear purchase.
The challenge with the cart is, where are you going to leave it? On the beach at places like Breakwater? Someone might steal it and a $300 item is expensive to replace. Same as I wouldn't leave me gear below and walk to the parking lot to return the dolly to my car. Don't get me wrong dollies have their place and I use a $50 collapsible dolly for places like Still Water Cove in Sonoma County. Best bet is to park closer to the beach, although sometimes you have to get there pretty early.

If it's any consolation, Ben, I didn't realise I needed more weight til I descended on my first dive & had to exit & trudge back to the truck for more lead. Two dives, three round trips in full gear. I'm thinking about taking some walks with my weights on to build up more leg strength. Sure glad I wasn't parked in the upper lot.

The Bamboo Reef fun dive sounds like a good deal. Getting back into diving & looking for buddies too.

There is a lot of nice places around monterey to dive. You are going to love it.

What are you talking about? This is the best part of beach diving!! Wait until you get acquainted with the monster berries that live at Monastery Beach. On a more serious note, take your time when you walk from your car to the shoreline. Remember, it's not a race or a marathon at all. Walk at your own leisure and take care not to overheat or overexert yourself. Also, once we clear the surf zone, most of us take a little breather before going down. This gives you an opportunity to obtain your bearings and double check everything with your buddy. Also, when you dive from shore, it's imperative to use good dive boots that have a true hard sole. Walking on concrete, rocks or sand with pliable soft sole boots will destroy the heel of your feet, legs and back.

I like the convenience of just jumping off a boat but I sure don't miss being sea sick. Beach diving is not only economical but can be your gateway to many wonderful dives.

Glad you did it right, with an experienced local to show you the first time! I get to the Bay Area from time to time for work, and I love throwing in an extra day for a dive at Lobos. Just have to get more of my friends into drysuits so we can do two dives rather than one...

Sorry if this is a silly question: Why do you need so much lead to dive in cold water? I'm asking this because the last time I dived in Monterey, the dive shop I rented gear from insisted I strap on 28lbs, AND a steel tank. I bargained it down to 24lbs and I still sank like an anchor. I was wearing a 10mm wetsuit with hood and gloves. I was so uncomfortable throughout the dive, and I dived with my BCD half full at all times just so I don't walk on the seafloor. During exit a huge wave knocked me down to the soft sinking sand. I literally flopped down like a beached whale, and had to ask my DM to take the bloody things off me so I could stand. A passerby who happened to be a doctor thought I was injured and needed medical attention, I felt like a :dork2:

Most of my 500+ dives were done in warm or temperate waters (lowest around 60s). In temperate waters, I use an AL plate (2lbs)+wing setup, jetfins (around 3lbs), and Poseidon Jestream which is a bit heavier than other regulators (about 2lbs), standard AL tank, 3mmx2 wetsuits plus 2mm hooded vest. With this setup, I only needed an additional 4lbs lead to be completely comfortable. Not including the tank, I basically need around 12lbs to stay down. In warm waters, I wear only the 3mm wetsuit, no additional lead. I explained all of this to the dive shop, and still they insisted on all those excessive lead. Needless to say, I won't be diving with them again.

So, what gives??? :confused: Is it some kind of a local thing? Be super overweighted, or don't rent gear from us?

Back
Top Bottom