Experience Diving in Cuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mimal2000

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I dived in Holguin Cuba several times over the past few yrs and plan on being there again this Dec for a few weeks. Beautiful reefs and really nice people. Just curious, does anyone have any bad experiences with either the diving staff or rented equipment. I have heard weird stories but have never witnessed anything unprofessional so far. Could only be stories. Let me know please. Thx for your feedback.

Did you rent gear? Bring your own? thinking about going

Maybe some day my government will finally get over the 1950s and let us dive there without restrictions.

I can only provide a third-hand account as we've been told (by a Canadian DM in Mexico who has been there several times) not to worry, all the equipment comes from the US or from Canada (obviously) and is maintained the same as anywhere. That being said, I still have the same reservations about Cuba as the OP. Nevertheless it's on our to-do list, and with us now having all our own gear it's less of an issue, leaving the tanks and more importantly the quality of the air fills as the only variables, which can be tested.

I was certified in Gitmo and the diving was phenomenal. Air and gear was no issue, then again, I wasn't on the Cuban side of things.

I dived in Cuba many times. On the positive side, reefs and fish are beautiful, people are even more beautiful and it's so much cheaper to dive in Cuba as opposed to diving anywhere else. On the negative side, the people are poor and although the equipment is the same gear that we buy in Canada or US, it is not as well maintained just simply because they don't have the money to do preventative maintenance so best to bring your own gear. I have witnessed a few equipment problems when diving in Cuba that would not normally happen elsewhere but what the hell, the Cubans are also amazing at fixing anything with nothing. The DM's that I dive with in Holguin are competent, professional and a lot of fun. Many Americans go diving in Cuba, but they must leave from an airport that is outside of the US. Some Americans fly to Canada or the Bahamas to get to Cuba. Beautiful country to discover.

---------- Post added November 26th, 2013 at 09:57 PM ----------

I also hope that your gov't will one day get over it. It's a beautiful country and the people are even more beautiful.

---------- Post added November 26th, 2013 at 09:59 PM ----------

Bring your own gear. Cubans can't afford to do much preventative maintenance. I have witnessed some serious equipment failures.

I've been to Veradaro, brought my own gear. Rental gear looked serviceable. I had no issues or concerns.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom