Expedition sensors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepstops

Blacklight Poster
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
I bought an Expedition analyzer in Feb. 2003 and I'm currently on my fifth or sixth sensor (which currently hasn't read above 11% since January 08, I've just been financially reluctant to replace it).

My first two sensors were black and all of the last ones were white. While the white ones have been better, 15 months is the best they've done so far (the original black one lasted a month and you swapped it under warranty).

What am I doing wrong or is this the expected life span of the sensors? I store the analyzer in it's box at room temp (77-78) and moderate humidity (50-70%).

Since we do not always watch this list, we ask that for any or all warranty questions please contact OxyCheq during normal business hours.

Sensors are consumable and have to be replaced. Once it is out of the bag and the sensor is awake it is active, even when the analyzer is not is use.

If you have any questions please call 850-482-0385 during normal business hours.

Br,

Dwain

I have two analyzers using expedition sensors - one that I built and the other that my buddy built and that I more or less inherited when he passed away. Both have sensors that are about 3 years old now and both still work fine.

I use a sensor saver cap on the sensor whenever I am not using the analyzers and both live in close fitting closed cell foam fitted watertight (and I suspect air tight) boxes. The sensor works by chemical reaction with oxygen, so if you leave it exposed to 21% O2 (air) all the time, it continues to generate the same chemical reaction it would in any 21% O2 environment.

The caps are a lot cheaper than the sensors.

I bought an Expedition analyzer in Feb. 2003 and I'm currently on my fifth or sixth sensor (which currently hasn't read above 11% since January 08, I've just been financially reluctant to replace it).

My first two sensors were black and all of the last ones were white. While the white ones have been better, 15 months is the best they've done so far (the original black one lasted a month and you swapped it under warranty).

What am I doing wrong or is this the expected life span of the sensors? I store the analyzer in it's box at room temp (77-78) and moderate humidity (50-70%).

Sensors are batteries, expensive ones at that. Once exposed to air, they are active. The more oxygen they see over time and percent, the higher the mv they create. The more mv they create, the shorter the life.

Most sensors last the average diver about 2 years. Busy shops can go through a sensor in half the time.

Sensors also have warranties against mfg defects, a year. Using a sensor up is not considered applicable under the mfgs warranty.

The best way to have a sensor last a long time is never take it out of the barrier bag.

Best regards,

Patrick
OxyCheq
http://oxycheq.com

What am I doing wrong or is this the expected life span of the sensors?

Hi Brian,

You're not doing anything wrong. 12 to 24 months is par for the course with sensors, depending on use and Mv generated. I highly recommend a sensor saver cap. It will extend the life of your sensor.

Safe Diving

Hmmm. I kept my cap on, in the storage box it came with, and that whole thing in a pelican case where I keep my save a dive kit. I have taken it out a half dozen times over the past year and a half and it wont calibrate past 11.8. I guess it is dead.

didn't turn out to be a very good investment.

I use several sensors myself and will be getting 2 years out of them if they make it to mid summer. I just ran a 100% O2 test on one and it still makes it to that point with no issues.

I'm not sure if climate plays a part in shortening the life of sensors a little. I'm in Canada where it's only hot and himid humid in for a couple of months in summer and pretty reasonable to chilly other times of the year. Makes me wonder if higher heat and humidity can have a slight impact on sensor life. Not sure if there is any info to that effect anywhere, but it would make an interesting discussion perhaps?

Mat.

I often dive with a buddy that uses an OMS analyser.
I am wondering if his sensor is compatible with my analyser,
my unit uses a 17D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom