Exiting diver courtesy question from newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drydiver

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey all, this is my first post in T2T and I for one am happy the entry quals here were lowered to include intro level so I dont have to listen to all the static from non cave divers out on the big board :D

In class I was taught to give way to exiting divers and I had the following 3 scenarios this weekend at Jackson Blue I would like your thoughts on:

1. As we were entering 2 exiting divers peeked around the corner so we slowed our descent, got out of the way a bit and waited to see what they were doing. They did nothing, they just sat there to the left of the entrance. They didnt make a move to come out nor gesture in anyway for several minutes. So now I am thinking maybe they are doing deco? We sorta give up fighting the flow and go in and immediately to the right to get the heck out of their way. The dont give us any hairy eyeball looks as we pass and when I looked back they were still hanging out, so I am thinking I did not piss anyone off.

2. We were approaching the chimney and 2 divers were hanging out right beneath the restriction, blocking it. I peek down with my light, not crossing the path of their light or signaling in anyway. They dont notice or if they do they do not look my way nor signal either. Again we wait for a bit, no movement and decide to turn the dive because our meager 6th is quickly dwindling.

3. On our way out, there is a diver with 4 stage bottles on his way in. I am thinking, good grief, I should probably let him in, he probably has some forward momentum going with that load against the flow and I have still have 3000 in my tanks, I'll let him go, so I gesture with a sweeping hand motion a couple of times, sort of like an invitation to proceed and he is looking right at me, but he does not signal back. If there was an official hand sign for that, I missed it in class. At the last moment instead of descending through the entrance, he goes straight, practically ramming his head into the ceiling. At this point I have no clue what he is doing so I scurry out of the way.

Are there some signals and/or protocol for teams to communicate amongst each other in these situations?

I am posing the same questions to my instructor also, but wanted all your brilliant creative ideas as well :D

1. sounds like those fellows were doing deco

2. no clue what the official answer would be ... I'd wait a minute or so and if they didn't seem to be moving use my light to get their attention and probably ask if they're OK? That might at least give them a clue that we'd like to come in ...

3. four stages? Good heavens ... he was probably headed to Alabama ... did he have a scooter or two?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

1. sounds like those fellows were doing deco

2. no clue what the official answer would be ... I'd wait a minute or so and if they didn't seem to be moving use my light to get their attention and probably ask if they're OK? That might at least give them a clue that we'd like to come in ...

3. four stages? Good heavens ... he was probably headed to Alabama ... did he have a scooter or two?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

ok, thanks! on 2, I didnt want to seem pushy and I was not sure all of us would fit well there. on 3, he could have been sidemount with 2 stages, I can't quite recall now, don't remember a scooter, I remember thinking he had his hands full though . . .

Imo, give everyone the option to exit first if you cross paths. But if they dillydally (can't wait forever...) or motion you to come on in, then just continue your dive. For scenario 2, though, I would try to cross my light in front of theirs to let them know I'm there. They might have been focused on something and not seen you, and a casual light signal could have provoked a response, eliminating any ambiguity.

Personally, if I cross paths on exit, I'll let the other team come through if I've got plenty of gas and the situation permits it . I've already had a great dive, and I don't want to delay their fun :) I try to by crystal clear with a wide, sweeping arm motion, lit up by my light, to come on in. But, as above, if the other team seems like they're waiting on me, I'll just head out. A minute or two either way doesn't really matter to me. Now, if 'issues' have occurred on the dive, I'm headed for the door.

Imo, give everyone the option to exit first if you cross paths. But if they dillydally (can't wait forever...) or motion you to come on in, then just continue your dive. For scenario 2, though, I would try to cross my light in front of theirs to let them know I'm there. They might have been focused on something and not seen you, and a casual light signal could have provoked a response, eliminating any ambiguity.

Personally, if I cross paths on exit, I'll let the other team come through if I've got plenty of gas and the situation permits it . I've already had a great dive, and I don't want to delay their fun :) I try to by crystal clear with a wide, sweeping arm motion, lit up by my light, to come on in. But, as above, if the other team seems like they're waiting on me, I'll just head out. A minute or two either way doesn't really matter to me. Now, if 'issues' have occurred on the dive, I'm headed for the door.

thanks! On #2, I intentionally did not cross their light path til I had a word with my buddy, she was behind me, saw the same thing and gave me the look, "no, I dont wanna try to squeeze by them" so I did not attempt to engage the other team. It did not appear they saw us because we hung out a bit in the upper area looking around and they never moved nor signaled up to us.

Give exitting divers first dibs, if they don't take it, try to let them know you are comin through.

JB's huge, nowhere's single file along the mainline.

Just shove them out of the way :wink: They'll get the hint!

me and my dive buddy create enough of a ruckus on land, we try to behave beneath the surface :D

1. It's common for cave divers to do their decompression stops just inside the cavern entrance. Sounds like those divers were on the white limestone shelf on the left, which is a common deco spot.

2. Some dive computers mandate deep stops. The 2 in the chimney were probably doing a 60' stop. It's not the most convenient place, but it happens. There is actually quite a bit of room there to pass by another team.

3. Probably was sidemount with 2 stages. Even that's a lot without a scooter!

While it is taught that exiting divers have the right of way, many of us will simply move aside and let entering divers continue their penetration if nothing is wrong. If I see a team entering, I'll usually shield my light and move to the side so they can't even see me. That way there's no question about who has the right of way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom