Exercises to lessen sea sickness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How do you do them? Rolling on the ground?

Yes or in a gym I just do it as part of my warm up exercises. After I started doing that 2 years ago I noticed I can withstand all kind of rolling, rocking, stop and go accelerations way better. And if I take 1 tablet of ginger 1 hour before the trip it eliminates it completely

I tried ginger (raw) - no go for me.

No go for you because it didn't work raw or you just couldn't eat it raw?

I've found for general intestinal health that ginger tea works for me. I will get a big root, like $6-7 worth, slice it up and simmer it a gallon of hot water until is smells good. It keeps well in the fridge for a while, but you could toss that into a bottle and take it with you on your dive day. Sweeten it with honey.

Something that isn't mentioned is proper hydration. Clear urine is a good thing. One of my buddies that goes with me to NC is guaranteed to chum the waters if he doesn't hydrate properly. If he hydrates properly, sound as a pound.

Take a Dramamine the night before.

Finally eyes to the horizon, avoid going below deck, and don't hang at the back of the boat where the fumes are. People try to put you back there so you won't accidentally toss your cookies on them. Don't let them fool you.

Good luck!

There are exercises that help with certain types vertigo on land that may be caused by calcium deposits getting loose in the inner ear canal, but I don't think they do anything for preventing sea sickness. If rolling around on land helped prevent seasickness, then, as a group, gymnasts, divers and judoka should all have a lower incident of seasickness than the general public. I have never heard that this is the case.

There are exercises that help with certain types vertigo on land that may be caused by calcium deposits getting loose in the inner ear canal, but I don't think they do anything for preventing sea sickness. If rolling around on land helped prevent seasickness, then, as a group, gymnasts, divers and judoka should all have a lower incident of seasickness than the general public. I have never heard that this is the case.

What are the exercises that help with vertigo?

I guess the key word here is 'lessen.' Hard to pin down the results in numbers. Maybe the best way would be to time how long certain exercises made you queasy. Then see if you ever develop more tolerance over time.

I brought up this topic cause a few years ago I did lots of boating for a couple weeks. And after a few days the seasickness was pretty much gone. But when I got back on land the room was still rolling like the boat for a day or so.

I wondered if I could do some training work on land before I had to go through the pain training on the water?

If rolling around on land helped prevent seasickness, then, as a group, gymnasts, divers and judoka should all have a lower incident of seasickness than the general public. I have never heard that this is the case.

I would not argue I just noticed it helping me, though it does not kill seasickness completely, I feel much better now. May be I'm accustoming to the boats, but I can hardly say it's true as I dive on boats may be only once or twice a month now.

Motion sickness (whether it is in a car, boat, plane, etc.) is caused when there is a discrepancy between what your inner ears feel and what your eyes see. If the vehicle you are traveling in is moving around, but you look at a fixed point inside the vehicle, your ears will detect motion, but your eyes don't. This leads to motion sickness.

For children, this often occurs in the car when they don't watch the road because they're too short to see out or are doing something like reading a book or watching a movie. Many people get sick when they are a passenger in a car, but not when they are driving. That's because the driver is watching the road more closely than the passengers -- the driver's eyes and ears agree on the motion they feel, so they don't get sick. For divers on a boat, motion sickness often occurs when you're busy getting your gear ready because you're not watching the water, but the boat captain almost never gets sick because he's watching the water and the horizon the whole trip.

I was on a dive trip once where one of the women on the boat was getting seasick. She was convinced that when her symptoms started she should lean forward and place her head between her knees, staring at the floor. I tried to tell her that she should stand up look at the water and the horizon instead, but she didn't listen. Sure enough, she got even more sick and eventually "fed the fish."

When I was in graduate school I did some studies of motion sickness while working for the Army Research Institute. Tank drivers at Fort Knox, Kentucky, were getting motion sick during training in full-motion tank driving simulators. My research group was asked to assess the situation in an effort to prevent soldiers from puking in the sims, which took quite a while to clean. We tracked the exercises the soldiers were performing and had them do balance tests (like a sobriety test) and rate their motion sickness severity after using the sims. We found that there was a slight time delay between the computers that created the video images and the computers that ran the hydraulic motion system. This fraction of a second difference was causing the motion sickness. We also discovered, however, that the soldiers with more experience in the sims were less likely to get sick, which means that they were learning to deal with the motion delay. We also found that some training sessions (like driving in the mountains and loading the tanks in flat-bed trains) were more likely to cause motions sickness than others. We reorganized the training schedule to move those sessions to later in a tank driver's training course, thus giving the soldiers more time to get accustomed to the sims. This lead to a reduction in motion sickness.

So, it is possible to "learn" how to not be sick over time if you can gradually expose yourself to sickness-producing situations. When you start to get sick, be sure to look up and out toward the horizon. Stand next to the captain and watch the waves as they approach the boat. This will ensure that your eyes and inner ears are in agreement, thus reducing your symptoms.

Last edited:
I agree with (Transderm Scope) I spent 4 years on Navy vessels and have owned small boats and to this day i still get sea sick! I have tried every medication on the market as well as ginger and nothing works but Transderm scope....I can honestly say i have never been sick while wearing the patch....knock on wood....U get 4 patches in box and each will last 3 days...most insurance companys dont cover but they are only about $40 for 4....IMO they are worth every dime...I dive using them with no neg effects thou i can get a dry mouth...just stay hydrated....Hope this helps

Honestly there is no real way around Seasickness, Ive been out on the water for a long time and have never found a way around it. Although there is one thing that my uncle used to have me do if I was starting to feel seasick. He kept those Carnation goodstart cannned breakfast drinks around in a cooler and if I started to feel sick he would hand me one of those and I tell me to drink it fast. I know this sounds kind of counterproductive with seasickness but hand-to-god if I catch the nausea quick enough with it I usually end up feeling alright most of the trip. On the flip side though if you are already pretty far along stay away from the stuff, believe it or not it really only makes things worse. Hope this is helpful

P.S. If you are feeling good on a trip Carnation is always fun to have for lunch when people are sick. Oh man just put that stuff in a glass around some seasick folks and take a few healthy gulps and watch the fireworks begin, its a sight to see.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom