Exercises to lessen sea sickness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, different kind of rolls, forward , backwards etc. which will improves vestibular system proved to work for me. But I could not eliminate it completely though.

Hi allenwrench:

Not really an exercise, but getting out on the open water more often is a proven way to lessen the chances of becoming seasick. No one is totally immune though and there is no shame in being seasick. Of course I say this as about three weeks ago I got sick as a dog on the same boat I mated for. Talk about embarrassment. The Captain, being the consummate gentleman says, "Thomas, I don't recall you ever getting sick before [as my mate]." I couldn't find a crack small enough to crawl into- but then again, I was vomiting my guts up so out in the open is where I needed to stay.

With kind regards,
Thomas

Take ginger, watch the horizon and keeping busy all seem to help.

Don't know how you feel about it but there are several medications a person can take for motion sickness. It really is one more horrible feeling. I had a buddy of mine get sick on a fishing trip and once it started, there was no cure while out in the ocean. Within a minute or two of being back on land he felt fine. And like others have said, you can go out 100 times and not get it but trip #101 may just kick your butt.

Hope you find something that works for you!

I read a study recently that showed that if you took ginger extract tablets (I think they said 0.5 or 1 gram was most effective) starting three days before you are planning on going out, it will help lessen or relieve nausea.

The study was actually for cancer patients who were undergoing chemotherapy that made them naseous in the past. For this round, the doctors started them on ginger three days in advance and it helped them tremendously.

HERE is the study. Maybe give ginger a try and see if that works for you. If not, there's the patch that you can get from your doctor....and now I guess there's a pill that does a controlled release of the same drugs in the patch that's gotten good reviews as well.

Hey allenwrench:

Also, there was a thread discussing sea sickness remedies, since we are all kinda' digressing from your initial post. I hope you get some benefit from it as well.

Kind regards,
Thomas

Yes, different kind of rolls, forward , backwards etc. which will improves vestibular system proved to work for me. But I could not eliminate it completely though.

How do you do them? Rolling on the ground?

I read a study recently that showed that if you took ginger extract tablets (I think they said 0.5 or 1 gram was most effective) starting three days before you are planning on going out, it will help lessen or relieve nausea.

The study was actually for cancer patients who were undergoing chemotherapy that made them naseous in the past. For this round, the doctors started them on ginger three days in advance and it helped them tremendously.

HERE is the study. Maybe give ginger a try and see if that works for you. If not, there's the patch that you can get from your doctor....and now I guess there's a pill that does a controlled release of the same drugs in the patch that's gotten good reviews as well.

I tried ginger (raw) - no go for me.

Back
Top Bottom