Exchanging money

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Forgot to ask - what are the exchange rates like in Sabang ?
After flying back to Manila from Coron I may need to change a bit more money if required, so would I get a better rate in Sabang or at T3 ?

Very helpful reply, thanks very much Centrals.

If you (or any other members) get a chance to visit either T1 (I'm flying in from the UK), Edzen or Robinsons could you try to get me the exchange rates for UK Pounds to Peso & also include the date you get the information please.

Forgot to ask - what are the exchange rates like in Sabang ?
After flying back to Manila from Coron I may need to change a bit more money if required, so would I get a better rate in Sabang or at T3 ?

Sorry to bump this, but is anyone able to check any of this out for me please ?? I'm leaving the UK for Manila next Saturday, so not much time left now :D

Bumping again. Leaving in 2 days for 2wk trip. Will need to trade a fair amount of USD to Peso. Can use ATM (my bank charges only 1%). What is the best to do? I will need ~$3000 USD for the whole trip (dont need it all at once, but will need 1/2 of it for Coron - my first stop. Just going right from Airport to Intl -> Domestic -> Coron so no way to get outside. So what is best bet in Airport - bring USD or use ATM? Other 1/2 is mostly for Sabang/PG - someone said no ATM there so best to change at airport?

Of course I will bring some US Cash, but difference of $500 or $4000 is big on what I go get from bank today.

Thanks!

I am used to using ATM at airports (esp in europe) - usually very small fee and not % based, and then get official rate from my bank which is federal rate. Is this best in Manila?

I can only make a few comments on this. The rate is Sabang will not be as good as in Manila or Batangas. Sometimes I change money at the malls, like SM in Batangas if in a hurry.
I use moneychangers and use $100 bills. But if you are unfamiliar doing this you might get ripped off. I have used the moneychnagers in Sabang without any problems, but if I am not mistaken it is best to use clean $100 bills, not tears or markings.

Change what cash you will need for Coron at the airport, and if you get chance on the way to Sabang try to change some more cash in Manila. If not you can always change cash in Sabang at a fairly good exchange rate (better than the airport). I just took cash with me, but I know of someone else who only had a card & was unable to use it at the ATM which was out of order.

So Sabang money exchange is better than Manila airport money exchange or using ATM (which should just be 1% plus some fixed fee - which I have heard is ~250P - so if I took out my daily max of 500USD (maybe the ATM doesnt allow this much but my bank does) - the fee is pretty much irrelevant. Unless I am missing something here...

FYI how much of a difference are we talking? Current official rate is 43.26 PHP/USD. 1% of this (Visa fee) is .43 PHP, ie I would get 42.83 PHP/USD. Are the rates you see more like 41 or 42 or something even lower?

I found with UK pounds that there was not a lot of difference in the exchange rates & don't rely on getting cash from the ATM in Sabang - it doesn't work all the time.

Back
Top Bottom