Exchange rate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now you're suggesting the waiter was trying to steal 700-800 US dollars? Sorry, OP said: "750-800 mxn"
He said:
"When I looked closely at the receipt, the amount charged was in USD not MXN."

The waiter returned with the card and slip for me to sign.
I hate it when they have to take my card away someplace as that's when the info can be copies - name, number, and even security code.

The lesson I learned was to use my card at the ATM and pay cash at local merchants.
I guess you mean debit card. If you withdraw cash on a credit card, there will a significant fee.

Drinks for four people 40 to 50 dollars.
Converted to pesos then charged in dollars was over $750.00 USD that was charged to my card. Would you walk away from that?

Getting mad was after two attempts of him insisting it was in pesos
So he ran $700+ USD can claimed it was $700+ Pesos? Quite a bonus to attempt to acquire, but it would have gone to the business, wouldn't it.

I hope you discussed the "mistake" with the owners?

It was a Schwab card, so yes a debit card.

The important point is that cards can be charged in different currencies.

If a business in Coz prices their goods in pesos, they can charge your card in pesos or they can convert the price to dollars and charge the card in dollars.

Likewise, if they price in dollars, they can convert to pesos and charge you in pesos, like the car rental explained earlier in this thread.

The bottom line is that it is best to let the card do the currency conversion, not the merchant.

. . .
So he ran $700+ USD can claimed it was $700+ Pesos? Quite a bonus to attempt to acquire, but it would have gone to the business, wouldn't it.

Also, couldn't the cardholder fairly easily challenge something like that with their credit card issuer? The restaurant would not receive the money. Does the server really think tourists are so flush with money they wouldn't notice?

Also, couldn't the cardholder fairly easily challenge something like that with their credit card issuer? The restaurant would not receive the money. Does the server really think tourists are so flush with money they wouldn't notice?
Yeah, I definitely think there was some sort of breakdown in communication. I could totally buy someone trying to skim an extra few bucks off of tourists, but trying to take one down for 700+? That would cost him his job, the charge would obviously be reversed so the establishment loses out, etc....Stranger things have happened I suppose..

Yeah, I definitely think there was some sort of breakdown in communication. I could totally buy someone trying to skim an extra few bucks off of tourists, but trying to take one down for 700+? That would cost him his job, the charge would obviously be reversed so the establishment loses out, etc....Stranger things have happened I suppose..
Maybe, though stranger things have happened. Not too long ago, a cashier at a Walmart was busted for punching customers using debit cards in for cash back, then pocketing the money. People tend not to look at their receipts. Hell the possible scam described is something one might not detect for weeks.

I hope you discussed this with the owner?

I was at wet wendys last winter and used a credit card to pay for a round of margs.
I asked the waiter to run the charge in pesos, around 750-800 mxn.
The waiter returned with the card and slip for me to sign.
I asked again if it was charged in dollars or pesos and was told it was charged in pesos.
When I looked closely at the receipt, the amount charged was in USD not MXN.
I asked the waiter again, and again he said it was in pesos.
I stood up and got in his face and only then did he claim it was a mistake and would fix it.
I walked with him to the machine and watched as he issued a credit and reran the bill in pesos.
It was an obvious scam based on how the waiter reacted when busted.
I don't like being cheated and it brings out an ugly side of my personality when it happens.
It upset the feeling of the entire evening.
The confrontation made the friends I was with uncomfortable as well.

The lesson I learned was to use my card at the ATM
and pay cash at local merchants.

I charged something in CZM and the exchange rate they gave me for charging vs paying in cash was horrible. I had them reverse the charge and I paid in cash dollars. The time between the charge and the refund was about 20 minutes. It took my credit card about a week between the two and the change in exchange rate cost me about $4.00.

I think there's some confusion here. When you pay with a US bank credit card in Mexico (or any other country), you are getting the daily foreign exchange rate, not some rate arbitrarily set by Mega or your bank.

XE is a good source for checking amounts, daily and historical rates. They have a nice android app too. I use it on my smart watch in Mexico, really handy..

XE: Convert MXN/USD. Mexico Peso to United States Dollar

XE: USD / MXN Currency Chart. US Dollar to Mexican Peso Rates

EXACTLY! Same at ATM's - the banks can set the fee they charge, but the exchange rate is based on what the card issuing bank is using which may be set to a point or two below the actual rate. Remember banks are in the business of making money on your money and exchanging your money for you is a service that they do not do for free.

Now you're suggesting the waiter was trying to steal 700-800 US dollars? Sorry, OP said: "750-800 mxn"
$750mx = about $42usd today - so not $20

Back
Top Bottom