Excessive Carbon Monoxide Levels Discovered in Utila Nitrox Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
After discussing the seldom examined risk on a few threads here (see this list) and shopping for a portable CO monitor/tester at the most reasonable prices possible for purchase and use, I found that there are actually few available - but purchased the newly updated Model 300 manufactured by KWJ Engineering Inc: Detect Carbon Monoxide

pocketco-keychain.jpg

It cost a little more than the first one I found, now not available, but then is more accurate and lower cost over time and tanks examined. My Instructor was to lead a group trip to Utila Is, Honduras well before my next trip tho - so I asked him if he'd like to borrow it, check it out, and consider carrying it in their LDS. I gave them a call today to ask how they got along with it? "Don, you may have saved our butts!"

They took it, but with the host of details of getting a group started diving after flying to Central American country and covering all the usual safety needs - they forgot to use it the first day, until his wife complained of a bad taste during the first dive. They quickly retrieved the tester and discovered the air tanks filled by the resort were fine, but the Nitrox tanks supplied by another vendor in town were registering 15 ppm on this instrument known for its accuracy. Nitrox diving was immediately suspended until all tanks and the compressor could be drained and cleaned and the next days tanks cleared testing at less than 5 ppm. In addition to my PADI/TDI Instructor, they also had a fireman in the group who supplied information as to the possible and cumulative effects of CO poisoning.

15 ppm is not nearly as bad as experienced in the May 22 Maldives accident that killed one and injured nine, but it is 50% more than the 10 ppm allowed as the maximum accepted. It's impossible to say what diving gases at that contaminated level might have done to members of the group if the levels did not change? At best, I would think that the group travel & dive experience could have possibly been marred with "travelers flu" in some; the outcome could possibly been worse as CO affects some more than others.

As it turned out, the trip went smoothly after that; I'll be retrieving my tester this week and the LDS will be carrying it for sale as soon as it can be supplied.

I started to not bother offering, as it was a little much of me offering suggestions to my Tech Instructor - but that's never stopped me before. I am so glad I did now; I don't know how I would have handled it if I hadn't offered and someone got hurt.

interesting stuff - how much was it ?
How much was what, Stu? The monitor/tester is well explained and is $139 at this link Detect Carbon Monoxide - also see link in my sig...

I am surprised of two things here Don. First, why didn't he test in the first place and second I didn't think CO had any taste. Maybe there was oil that caused the problem. In any case I ordered mine today. If I die diving, it won't be because of someone else's negligence. I am completely competent in screwing things up myself. :)

Bruce

How much was what, Stu? The monitor/tester is well explained and is $139 at this link Detect Carbon Monoxide - also see link in my sig...

ah ha...i hadn't clicked past the first page ! thanks.

[just goes to show for advertising - have the price on page 1 for lazy people!]

I am surprised of two things here Don. First, why didn't he test in the first place and second I didn't think CO had any taste. Maybe there was oil that caused the problem. In any case I ordered mine today. If I die diving, it won't be because of someone else's negligence. I am completely competent in screwing things up myself. :)

Bruce
No the taste was not from the CO, but hydrocarbons and CO are often found coming from the same, faulty compressor. What's worrisome is that a lack of taste is no guarantee that the CO may still be there.

Why did he not test in the first place? Hardly anyone does, he took my CO tester to humor me then forgot about it until they remembered. Leading a group of vacation divers from Lubbock, many on their first time on new passports, first dive trip, etc - thru 2 connections, immigration, customs, and the unique experience known as the Utila airport is overwhelming to the most experienced. He does a fine job leading trips, I've been on a couple with him - but he's sold on this new idea now.
Do you know who provided their contaminated air?
No, and since I was not actually there, I wouldn't want to name names anyway. Naming the small island narrows it down a lot, but I couldn't let this story go untold here, and they're just not internet people.

Hey Don, I will be at Blue Hole this weekend. Finishing up my DM.... I hope. Come on over. I met some Tech divers from Lubbock last month when we were there. Big Dude, can't remember his name, but he was the instructor and I assume the owner of the shop. They were doing tech training on the bottom. I actually witnessed a diver that was having a problem and wanted to bolt to the surface and his buddies were holding him down. The water was so clear that day it was incredible. We were at the 20' platform and it looked like the were 20 ft below us. Maybe you know them.

Bruce

OK Don, could this have been any better??? I mean, I was expecting them to come home with a report of one tank MAYBE having CO, but, this is awesome. I bet with a bunch of us now traveling with CO monitors there will be less travelers flu & more discovery of CO in scuba tanks. You get the credit, you singlehandedly screamed at us until, through unfortunate circumstances, the Maldives horror, we were made to sit up & take notice. Nice job Don, nice job.

Thanks Mrlipis - got family plans this weekend.

Well Bubba, time will hopefully tell how common the problem may be with more testers being used by SB members. Even DAN admits they have no idea how common it is since so many scuba deaths are written off as drownings - no testing, or no results released. If it turns out to very rare, then we will have increased confidence at least, but - we'll see, since no one is enforcing the few rules that exist outside of the US.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom