Evinrude E-TEC 70 hp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Misplaced Priority:
I've heard better things about OMC now that they are owned by the Sea Doo company. I think Bombardier. Anyway I think the key is preventive maint. Fresh water and soap best medicine ever for a salt water motor. Happy boating!
OMC no longer exists. It was liquidated in bankruptcy.

Evinrude, Johnson, and SeaDoo are all lines from Bombardier Recreational Products (BRP).
BRP is now spun off from the Bombardier parent company.
http://www.brp.com/en-CA/Products/

Just an update....the 90 E-TEC has been in my laundry room for three days now and still looks great.:D No wear and tear whatsoever....of course it's still in the box....but....

Hank49:
NIce picture Jamdiver. Thanks.

And Masterfish, they're cheaper than Hondas here. About the same as Yamaha. ???? We have a 30% duty on them. The 90s go for US$8000 here.

oh ok that's not too bad a price there. Here in Oz there is a general (very liberal) rule of thumb that is $1000 for each 10hp, but the E-Tec goes above that and for a 90 i think they are retailing for around about the $11500 on a good day, but i did look into that about 2 months ago...

I drove the 90 e-tec 102 miles bringer her home. It works great. Seems to be getting close to 6 mpg on the 25 foot skiff in mild conditions. The adventure was taking the motor to Guatemala to mount it and drive the boat home. Sound simple? We ain't talking going to Bass Pro, picking out a boat, paying with your credit card and towing it home. Does the name Indiana Jones ring a bell? Patience is not a virtue....it's critical for survival. But the motor, me and the boat, Carrot Juice, are here and happy in Dangriga.......

When we repowered one of the tourist cats in Kaneohe Bay, this involved removing the old outboards from their wells, carrying them across a gangplank 15' off the water to the pier, and then taking the new engines back and bolting them in.
The owner was a cheap guy who bought older outboards to save a few shekels, so the powerheads failed about twice a year necessitating the need for new engines. "New" engines meant old decrepit pieces of junk that he got cheap.
I remember carrying a 65hp by myself across that rickety, bouncy gangplank and thinking, "This is the last time I do this."
The guy drove a RR Silver Shadow - the boating thing was just a sideline to his hostess bar business in Kakaako.

Hank, this is sorta off topic, so my apologies to the thread. We purchased about 600' of beachfront on Utila this past year and are in the process of deciding on a boat. We are going to have a 25' guatemalean panga as a runabout, but are considering something more substantial for diving (especially runs to the north side and to Roatan/Guanaja). I've been eyeing 32' powercats, glacier bays, worldcats and Kevlacats. The biggest issue for me seems to be getting the boat down there. I realize you are in Belize (which we love also, spent a number of weeks off Glovers) but was curious as to whether you had any thoughts about this?

For some pictures of our property-see this link: http://buildingourplaceinthesun.blogspot.com/

Something a little weird with this motor. As I was bouncing and slamming over waves on the way home, I had noticed a knocking sound...not like a rod or bearing...hell, it's a new motor...but a heavy metal on metal sound. I looked yesterday and found that the pin which adjusts the lowest point on the tilt was at its lowest setting and the tilt motor was actually getting hit by the frame that the hydraulic rams push on when trimming up or down. I set it on the third lowest setting and it's clear by cm or so. This seems weird. A design flaw? It's cool though because, according to the trim guage, it's set right at where I was running most of the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom