Everybody Gets to Be STUPID -- my turn

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ralawrence

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Shore diving the Puget Sound for AOW. First couple of dives ok. Got bouyancy undercontrol with new DS (the USIA Techniflex), I was 'Bob" for the first 5 minutes --- ;o). Nav dive was great (but what would you expect from a land surveyor??)

Night dive started without ankle weights, now I was 3 lb light. But "should be OK" and did not want to hold rest of class while I went back to truck. OOPS --- after struggling to stay down AND right side up, signaled trouble and headed up (only about 18 feet). Let assistant DM know I was heading in (less than 200 feet). Well, should do better next time. Struggling to stay down really blew through air and exhausting too.

Next day, time for deep dive. I use a FFM on a 100 cf steel with a 13 cf bail-out bottle. Oxycheq gas switch block on left BCD harness strap, a bit cluttered, but "ok".

Buddy: a stranger assigned for class who had never been around FFM. As we headed out - all well, good vis. Felt a slight tug at breath then OOA. I forgot to switch back onto main tank after checking bail-out was working. 42 feet, 8 min into dive. Knew I could surface and knew air in 13 cf tank would expand on way up and finding that darned switch difficult at best, way around to the left and buried in hoses. Signaled buddy (no octo with a FFM unless in "REAL" trouble). Got a sip of air every attempted breath on way up with lots of exhale. Not even thinking about air in lung expansion.

All of this from a professional level fire fighter with 10 years experience working in emergency situations

To the surface without incident, buddy close behind. Into shore. Instructor right behind us with remainder of the class.

I'll bet I learned a heck of a lot more than any other attendees of the class..

Lessons learned:

1. move switch to cross chest strap where, while not in the way, darned close to it
2. Review switch procedure with buddy so he (she) can help if needed.
3. Be sure buddy knows how your system works, even if not different.
4. Check position of gas block switch at least twice after tanks on, then have buddy check for you as you enter the water, just like you have him (her) check tank valves all the way open
5. Like fire fighting, if you have not practiced something, you will do it wrong, so practice -paractice --- practice ---- all sorts of emergencies until you don't need to think, you just do.
6. If the class is moving too fast for you, slow them down, you probably are not alone and if they have to wait on a safety issue, tough! When YOU are ready, dive, until then DON'T
7. lung air expansion - CESA - call it what you like -- physics rules and you better not forget. I got lucky.

I'm sure I'll hear lots of good advise, but as I have learned in firefighting, maybe my screw-up will help someone else avoid doing the same and not making it.

First, good on you for posting.

Second, I'm curious for the reason for the Full Face Mask. I would also be concerned about how you share air with your dive buddy, I'm not familiar with FFM's and don't know how that works.

On #6 I would say that anytime with diving is something is moving to fast for you, slow it down. :) That applies to buddies, trying to descend to fast from the buoy before gathering yourself, rushing to suit up, rushing to the dive site etc etc. Good lesson in general.

I'd add a lesson: Don't start a dive when you know something isn't right. Sort it out before you dive, even if that means someone will have to wait :)

Good question, but at least I am ahed on that one. My rig is set up with primary air and redundant supply for my FFM, an octo for buddy and breathable BCD connection.

I figure I can bring up two besides myself in an emergency.

The reason for the FFM is that I often do some shallow (usually less than 18 feet, but if river is up that can become 25 feet) commercial work and the law requires surface communication. Tough to do with a mouth full of regulator. So I got into an AGA and buddy phone system.

If forgot to turn on main tank, why not pull off BC if you couldn’t reach it to turn on or have buddy turn on? Just asking.

ralawrence:
The reason for the FFM is that I often do some shallow (usually less than 18 feet, but if river is up that can become 25 feet) commercial work and the law requires surface communication. Tough to do with a mouth full of regulator. So I got into an AGA and buddy phone system.

But you are taking a recreational course... not in the line of work... In this setting it's more important to have the ability to breathe and share air if needed...

"In this setting it's more important to have the ability to breathe and share air if needed..."

Last time I checked, it's important to be able to breathe in any setting you are in. ;o)

I was able to share air (carrying standard octo), but had to remove mask to take air from another, hence the bail out bottle. FFM is a great way to go, however, like all activities, you need to know what you are doing and how the system works. I have learned a lot from this experience.

I used FFM in a Rec class for the following Reasons:

1. I wanted open-water experience with it.
2. I wanted to know if I was set up correctly (was not, think I am now)
3. Once you dive with a good FFM you will not want to go back to regulator/separate mask system. What a difference ... It is wonderful.

Back
Top Bottom