Ever dive the wooden shipwreck directly off the oceanfront golf course in Boca?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
On the beach in Lauderdale by the Sea, Florida
I was just going down memory lane with my dad and this shipwreck came up in conversation. Diving this wreck was a pretty cool childhood memory for me and I am just wondering if anyone else has been there too?

When I was a kid my dad would take me snorkeling to this wreck for spearfishing and lobstering. We would go there pretty often from about 1978 – 1983. It was about 20-25 feet deep in the sand and a few hundred yards offshore, directly East of the oceanfront golf course in Boca Raton. It was mostly wooden ribs and beams protruding from the sand with a 15 foot concrete pipe, about 3ft diameter, that sat on top of the rubble and ran perpendicular across the ship. I'm guessing the ship was 70 feet long or so. The sand shifted a lot over the years that we visited the wreck. There were years when the ribs & beams were completely covered with sand and only the pipe was visible sitting on the sand. Other years the ribs & beams were clearly visible with the pipe running across the stern. It was a great little wreck for spearing because not that many people knew about it… sometimes the pipe was full of nice sized snappers and it was like shooting fish in a barrel. It was incredibly productive for spearing from about 1978 to 1982. After that it seemed the fish stopped hanging there so we quit going there too. I have not been back there since around 1983 and for all I know it could be completely buried in the sand today or possibly disintegrated.

Just wondering if anyone else ever dove this wreck or if any remnants of it are still there?
-Chris

But if you want my fondest memory of this wreck it was watching OceanObsessed rocket to the surface covered in jellyfish stings after telling me the layer of jellyfish between the surface and the wreck "aren't the stinging kind". Good times!!!!:rofl3:

But if you want my fondest memory of this wreck it was watching OceanObsessed rocket to the surface covered in jellyfish stings after telling me the layer of jellyfish between the surface and the wreck "aren't the stinging kind". Good times!!!!:rofl3:
Your thinking of a different place. But I remember that. Only a sissy would let a layer of jellyfish stand in their way of reaching the bottom. :D

I just said they were the non-stinging kind hoping to get you to go first :D

But on a more serious note... has anyone else ever been to this wreck?

Last edited:
When I was a kid my dad would take me snorkeling to this wreck for spearfishing and lobstering. We would go there pretty often from about 1978 – 1983. It was about 20-25 feet deep in the sand and a few hundred yards offshore, directly East of the oceanfront golf course in Boca Raton.

Sounds like it may be the schooner TIFTON, which wrecked off Red Reef Park (golf course). It was known locally as the "Lumber Wreck"...
Not sure if its exposed currently or not, but I heard a few years ago it was buried. May have to wait for a good storm.
Cheers,
Mike

Sounds like it may be the schooner TIFTON, which wrecked off Red Reef Park (golf course). It was known locally as the "Lumber Wreck"...
Not sure if its exposed currently or not, but I heard a few years ago it was buried. May have to wait for a good storm.
Cheers,
Mike
Thanks Mike. That sounds like the one. The golf course, as you indicate, is right next to Red Reef Park.

At least the pipe has been exposed every time that I have been there. I've seen it "below sand level" but the fish always seemed to keep the sand out. One of the recent hurricanes could have washed the pipe ashore for all I know.

With the eternal dredging, anything shallow has long been buried. Boca had some phenomenal lobster spots that all all gone. Sometimes things pop back out though. I'm never shallower than 92' feet if I can help it, so I'm not much help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom