European Divers!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey All! This is great feedback! I am jealous for everyone for having a holiday already! I couldnt manage a real holiday this year but spent time in Europe for the Dive Shows. But that is work not a holiday. I would love to get a holiday after the season and take my sons. They have been diving since they were babes but only know Malta and Gozo.
Maybe the Red Sea. Bali sounds good too!

I think taking them down to Amsterdam would be a culture shock alone, without getting them in the water!!!! Anyways Ive become a warm water, maximum vis wimp diver in my old age!!!!!

Hahahahaha, good for you to admit. :p It's not a bad life, I should be proud of it if I were you. hehehe. How old is that anyway? :p

Hi all

I’ve decided to participate to this Euro string too. I hope it’s not too late. I haven’t been too active on scubaboard in the past three months. Since I have more free time this year normal, I’m hoping to get a lot of scuba diving done. I’m leaving for Malta tomorrow. I’m hoping to visit Gozo again and stopping by Moby Dives to say hi to Mark. Unfortunately, we won’t be diving because my husband just caught a pretty bad cold, and I have the sniffles too. This reminds me that I should be getting ready instead of chatting on scuba board, but that’s another story.

In any case, after Easter, I’ll be going to Shram-el-Sheik for a mini break. My return flight, and thus my trip, should be confirmed today. If Shram doesn’t work out, I think I’ll opt for Belgium and the Netherlands instead. I’ve been to Leiden and the surrounding area several times in conjunction with my studies, but I’ve never been there in the spring to witness famous fields of tulips and the Kruckenhof gardens. Now is my chance. Last August I was in the Zeeland area and really liked it, except for the cold and wind, which I wasn’t prepared for. It was during the end of the heat wave we were having, when we had unseasonable temps of up to 40C, so I was expecting it to be warm in the Belgium and Netherlands too. It was 32C and sunny when I left Switzerland, and by the time I arrived in Brussels five aprox hours later it was a mere 14C and cloudy. I spent one day in Belgium and a day in Zeeland and the rest of the time in North Holland, but it never got above 17C. To think I only brought light summer clothes with me. Burr. This time I’ll be better prepared. I’d like to go cycling along the canals in Sud Holland and the Zeeland provinces. It’s something I’ve always wanted to do. I never really considered scuba diving there, but why not. What type of water temperatures can I expect? Can you Dutchies recommend any good dive operators?

Gotta get packing

Sylvie
PS: Planning an exotic dive holiday for two or three weeks sometime between the second half of May and the first half of July, any suggestions? We prefer to go in late May rather than later, but it’s also harder to choose a location because it between seasons in a lot of areas.

Yesssssssss, a question for a dutchie. :p
Hmm... about the question of the water temperature... if you think 17 degrees outside temperature is cold, better not splash in, and just stay on your bike.
The watertemperature in Zeeland will be about 8 degrees around that time. Viz always varies. One dive it can be up to 5 meters, the next you're in 10 cm's. But still... experience of a life time. Try it.
And dive operators... for diving in Holland??? Well, I think they'd be out of business soon. I wonder if there are any. There are some overnight plans, but maybe you'd better just stick to the LDS's over there. How long are you planning to stay? There are several good accommodation options in the area.
The best dive center I know over there is Waterworld in Nieuwerkerk. Best service ever! Some of their dive masters just did the IDC, so everybody can help you perfectly. Really charming place. :wink: I really think you should try it. So happy diving, if it's not to cold for you. And I hope the Sharm thing will pull through.
As for the summer... hope you'll have fun tip-toeing through the tulips here.
(Maybe other people might be of more use concerning dive operators.)

Ramón. :D

Hi Ramon

Thanks for the info about Waterworld in Nieuwerkerk. I’ve made note of it already, and will keep it in mind when I’m in NL.
The trip to Shram just pulled through about 15 minutes ago, which means that I’ll only have time to go to the Netherlands on Easter Weekend. My husband is a little concerned about the traffic, but I’m more willing to take risks. I do however have to go to Antwerp on business (don’t know the date yet), so I’ll try to cross over the boarder for least a weekend. I hope it will be while the tulips are still in bloom.

Cheers

Sylvie
PS: I’ve lived in Canada and have experienced temps below -40C with a wind chill of -70C or so. In comparison, I consider 17C rather balmy. However 14 – 17C in the shade with a North see wind quite is a shock to the system when it’s in August at end of a three month a heat wave and you’ve just experienced a 20 drop in temp within a few hours.

Ok, I understand about the temperature thing. :p A true canadian can't be stopped by no cold :p
Well, I suggest you take a dip then. It should be fun. There are other diving centers if you don't like Waterworld. But we're talking about Zeeland here. Everywhere you look is a diving center. You should be well able to locate another one. :wink:
Oh! I know another center. That's a nice place. It's right next to a dive site. Easy diving. No currents. It has some reefballs. You can see some nice things over there. (It's in the Grevelingenmeer) The dive center over there (de Kabbelaar) offers some indoor dressing rooms. Well, it has more. But it's a nice place as well. But I would step inside first for some further information on that.
And sorry to burst your bubble, but I don't think we have any tulips here in april. hmm...
Anyway... Have fun diving in Sharm!! It will be great ofcourse, I'm sure. :wink:

Ramón.

p.s. tell your husband not to worry... he'll be fine. :p just go in weekends. hehehe

When do the tulips bloom Ramon?

Sylvie

Hey sylvie,
Ehm... when is easter again? :p
hehehe, I might have been mistaking. I think it's somewhere near the end of April or beginning of May. You'll really get to see something in May I think.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom