Euro Cylinders, round vs flat bottom? which one should I buy an why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bork-it

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking for some advise, I'm looking at getting some euro cylinders, I tried on some round bottom ones and they felt better than the faber twins cyinders I have, I see a lot of people diving with both round and flat bottom ones, so now I have to figure out to either round or flat bottom. I do a wide range of diving, mainly in a drysuit, and often off the back of a boat or RIB. which one would you guys reccomend? and why?

Round bottom are steel, flat ones ar Aluminum.

Something doesn't add up
Incorrect mate, in the uk we definitely have euro flats in steel as well as the workhorse Faber with round bottoms,,,

As it happens I have twinsets of each, and I do prefer the flat bottoms.. trim nicer.

Don’t you know anyone that has flat bottoms you can borrow to try mate?
Sadly not that I could borrow, I hoping for pro's and con's of both of them.

The steel cylinders with the flat bottom have an incredibly heavy and thick base. ECS cylinders already have a much thicker base than say Faber for example. If that is of an advantage for you I can't judge, this will depend on your personal trim needs.

I'm not a big fan of ECS, once they get wet inside, the base starts to flake, rather than develop pits. It's a pain to clean up.

The steel cylinders with the flat bottom have an incredibly heavy and thick base. ECS cylinders already have a much thicker base than say Faber for example. If that is of an advantage for you I can't judge, this will depend on your personal trim needs.

I'm not a big fan of ECS, once they get wet inside, the base starts to flake, rather than develop pits. It's a pain to clean up.
I've been told buy the engineer that services my cylindes that the flat bottom ones are pain as water just in a ring around the bottom and can really mess up the cylinders.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom