Ethics in Spearfishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are posting in the wrong Forum. May want to edit your post. I can go to Safeway for my meal - no need to kill my meal - it is just more sporting - see CA-DFG recreational fishing is sport fishing.

Nope. I'm all for spearfishing and hunting. I don't think it's a sport. I think those that think this way are sick. I respect those that hunt for food. Those that hunt simply for the kill are sick IMO. There is nothing "sporting" about killing. There is also nothing wrong with ethical hunting.

Sick in the head.. I must be.. because everytime I've been spearfishing it feels almost exactly like when I play ball of any kind.. truley a sport.. you try to the get the basketball in the hoop and you try to get the spear in the fish... it's all sport, sport..

And to me that's sad.

For some kids, shooting dogs and cats feels like playing ball. Some people feel the same way about murder. That isn't an argument for what's right and wrong, is it?

Straw man arguement. Doesn't work.

Hardly.

Hunting doesn't have to do with whether you can do it holding your breath. I know, I've hunted. Plenty.

If you think hunting is all about not using "technology" then freedive with no mask, no fins, and no gun. Otherwise, you've no argument that freediving for fish is better than using scuba.

Hardly.

Hunting doesn't have to do with whether you can do it holding your breath. I know, I've hunted. Plenty.

If you think hunting is all about not using "technology" then freedive with no mask, no fins, and no gun. Otherwise, you've no argument that freediving for fish is better than using scuba.

I agree that hunting isn't all about not using technology.

I was saying comparing spearhunting to getting lunch a McD's is a strawman arguement. It's a bad arguement.

I hunt on scuba. I rifle hunt deer. I bow hunt deer. I enjoy hunting to have hunted. The kill is secondary. Dinner on the table that I put there is bonus.

TwoBit

I agree that hunting isn't all about not using technology.

I was saying comparing spearhunting to getting lunch a McD's is a strawman arguement. It's a bad arguement.

I hunt on scuba. I rifle hunt deer. I bow hunt deer. I enjoy hunting to have hunted. The kill is secondary. Dinner on the table that I put there is bonus.

TwoBit

For the most part, I don't think we have a disagreement. Being OUT hunting is enjoyable. For me that works for land, air, and in the sea. Personally, I won't C&R fish any more, as I find the habit sickening (I just don't get off on the idea of causing pain for my satisfaction; causing limited pain for food is another issue). In no case do I see any of this as sport. Again, both sides agree to "play" at sport. That's not the case in hunting. It's ultimately about the kill. Sorry, that's not secondary. Otherwise, it's just walking/sitting in the forest or swimming in the sea (also not sports).

When I decide to spearfish, I go in knowing exactly what my target is, and I don't tend to deviate from that.

I like the idea of being selective. I've had some buddies who will shoot lots of things, but I agree with the idea of taking only what I will eat, not what I would give away.

I also like to make sure I have the good shot before I make my move.

For example, yesterday I went out with the specific focus of getting halibut. I went to the beach with my sling and caught two medium-sized ones (about 28 inches each). It was efficient, effective stuff.

I saw plenty of other fish and game around, but it did not fit into my plan.

I don't see it as a sport, either; at least not the way I do it.. i suppose one could do that, if there was some competition involved, but I've never gone spearfishing with the intent to compete against somebody else. I always go with the intention to find food.

Thanks for your dramatic diagnosis.

What training and/or certifications do you have to formulate such a profound hypothesis?

Just curious...

Ph.D. in Psychology. You?

In any case, this is just a personal opinion. I hunt. I find getting my own food enjoyable. I enjoy the time outdoors. I don't kill things, however, to get my rocks off. I don't kill things that are much, much stupider than me and try to call it "sport". It isn't. The animals I kill don't think it's a game. They aren't playing. And neither am I.

Ph.D. in Psychology. You?

In any case, this is just a personal opinion. I hunt. I find getting my own food enjoyable. I enjoy the time outdoors. I don't kill things, however, to get my rocks off. I don't kill things that are much, much stupider than me and try to call it "sport". It isn't. The animals I kill don't think it's a game. They aren't playing. And neither am I.

Your comments are not indicative of a Professional Psychologist. Is there a link to your work at Cambridge or publications?

You have wasted enough of this forums time with your trolling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom