Ethanol Fuel Chaos for Boat Owners....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
So, many unhappy looking boat owners on our dock have been siphoning, cleaning, hauling gas in and out telling us to be prepared for "bad gas". They say the new mixes have Ethanol which is hydrophilic and wreaking havoc in some of the fuel tanks. I think there are two issues. 1) Older fuel tanks made of fiberglass 2) Letting fuel sit and the ethanol seperates or attracts water through the vented fuel tanks.

Has anyone sorted this out, discovered an additive? Found a non-ethanol source?

Do you carry extra fuel filters? And my main question: Should we keep our boat topped off and full of gas, or bring in fresh for the outing that day? I am really confused.

I was hoping to find Reef-a-holics number today. Captain, Nemrod? Anybody have any wisdom?

This whole ethonal thing is an over reaction. Renewable sources are good but the actual environmental impact of "farming" hydrocarbons is not as green as people are led to believe. Farmers have strong lobbies and all in all it is better than some other alternatives.
All engines, especially marine and aviation will not do well with a hygroscopic fuel that tends to phase seperate and collect moisture. Most--most--modern engines including outboards of both two and four stroke can run well on 10% but the 15% E85 is not acceptable. The ethonal does attack certain older plastic tanks and all fiberglass tanks and many steel tanks (rust due to entrained water).
The only solution is to complain and complain and learn to live with it in the markets the stuff is prevelent in. BTW, it has a lower energy density so your peformance may suffer slightly as will your fuel economy in addition to all of the other fun stuff.
The best solution I can think of is using your fuel and not allowing it to sit around for months. Use fuel stabilizers and keep the fuel fresh and caps on the tanks tightly and check filters regular. N

I use stabilizer and dryer on a frequent basis. These issues happen when you mix gas during the changeover in the fall and spring. The two are not compatible and water in the fuel is the result. Use up all the fuel and then fillup again can lessen the issue.

Jack

I'm not the world's biggest BoatUS fan but they do have a lot of information on this topic. I'm not sure the age of your boat but if it's newer, I wouldn't worry too much about it. The moisture issue is going to be more of an issue if you start hauling cans. Most marinas are much more concerned about water in fuel than street stations are. If you can find a marina that uses ValvTech in their fuel, that will help a lot. I think that Starbright also has a new additive out that is supposed to combact some of the ill effects of the corn in the fuel.

Last I heard, Ewhatever fuel takes as much energy to make as they get from the final product. Doesn't seem to make sense to me. I think the common thought is that it's like Biodiesel which yields more energy than it takes to make. Not the case with Efuel. Oh well, I guess we'll have to learn to deal with it.

Thanks all.

Yes, we ordered a case of that additive you are speaking of. (Startron, by Starbright)

We have the 01 Glacier Bay so hopefully the tanks are not an issue as much as an older boat. Well, thanks again for the tips, I will let you know how it goes. We have not had a problem but people that have let their boats sit are very unhappy right now.

Don't get me started on this ethanol business, I just had a new fiberglass gas tank built for my boat last year. So far ethanol has not reached my area yet. This is another boondoggle promoted by the greens and the farm lobby and the people in power making the decisions don't want to be coufused by the facts.

jackconnick:
I use stabilizer and dryer on a frequent basis. These issues happen when you mix gas during the changeover in the fall and spring. The two are not compatible and water in the fuel is the result. Use up all the fuel and then fillup again can lessen the issue.

Jack
Gas line dryer is ethonal. It is sold to cold regiens to mix with the water in the tank so the fuel lines don't freeze in the winter.

My simple cure, run aviation gas. I wish I could find a good source of mogas again. The boat really likes that high lead 80 octane. But when all else fails, 100LL works as well. Stores good too. 18 months, 2 summers in Phoenix and it still starts and runs fine. Love them old simple motors!

Uh, 100LL is not all that low in lead, in fact it has a bunch of lead in it, just not as much as 100 octane av gas. The 80 octane should have very little lead. Since 80 octane avgas is relatively rare that leaves only the 100LL being commonly available. Some marine engines might be okay with it but the vast majority of engines, outboards and whatever have you will not appreciate the large amount of lead. The plug fouling and lead precipitation in the engine from modern lubricants not being compatible with lead (not intended for lead suspension capability) would quickly cause problems--even severe ones. Some marine inboard engines might be okay with it on a case by case. JFYI, automotive grade gasoline sold at some airports for use in aircraft with the proper STC (supplemental type certificate) should be free of both lead and ethonal as neither are alowed by the STCs for certified aircraft operating with auto fuels.

N (FAA Airframe and Power Plant rating)

Deleted-------------

your boat should have a water seperator on it,does a good job of filtering it out,if it doesnt have one be sure to have one installed. there is a product called seafoam out there that does miracles for boat engines and all others,it removes water,cleans carborators and stabilizes the gas,only product that will clean out a dirty jet in the carb that i have used,tryed quite a few,enjoy your new boat the best way to keep them running right is to use them alot.

Back
Top Bottom