Estimate increase in Weight going from Wetsuit to Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lyonsce:
Its a trilam, I will be using the DR Primaloft undergarment. I plan on minimizing the amount of air, just enough to limit squeeze. I wore a 7mm full wetsuit prior.

I like your original 10-15 pound guess. Make sure a fair amount is as clip-ons or in pockets where you can hand some off at the end of the dive. You can use common 2 or 3 pound weights, bolt-snaps and tie-wraps to make some limited use clip-ons.

Until you are confident about venting the suit do not cut it too close.

Pete

jepuskar:
DA Aqua, your experience with drysuits seems much different than anyone I have talked too. I remember having this discussion with you just under a year ago. In fresh water for me in a 3mm, I need around 4lbs or so....in a 7mm I need about 10-12lbs...in my 6.5mm Neoprene Drysuit with undergarment i need about 32lbs.

I think I remember you saying you can dive a Neoprene drysuit and use the suit for buoyancy at depth. Being overweighted at the start of a dive and with the buoyancy loss of the suit at depth I have to use my wing...I tried using my drysuit and it was a mess.

I'm not giving you a hard time, really I'm not....I just dont see anyone else posting similiar experiences. Heck I added 20lbs going from 7mm to a drysuit.
When I switched from a 7mm farmer-john to a 7mm neoperene drysuit, I added about 5 lbs as well. With my shell suits, I had to add around 10 lbs (I wear viking undergarments with another layer of fleece=lots of trapped air)

I found that when I went from a 2pc 7mm wetsuit, I didn't have to change my weighting much, with either my 2mm compressed neo suit or my trilam suit. I had to wear thicker underwear with the trilam, so a bit more air space.

I'd buy 10 and borrow a few more from your buddy just to be safe. Hopefully you won't need it all.

Thanks to all the helpful answers. I will buy 10 (in a variety of sizes) and go from there. Thanks,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom