Estimate increase in Weight going from Wetsuit to Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lyonsce

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am about to pick up my new drysuit (Diverite 905):D and would like to get an estimate how much weight I will need to add (I know I will have to do the bouancy check and fine tune my weighting). I want to go ahead and buy some weights so I can adjust, but need to estimate how much to buy. I am figuring about 10-15 lbs above my wetsuit weight (Currently I wear 8-9 lbs of lead). Anyone have a good estimate (I do know that the weight requirement will likely go down as I get better at controlling the amount of air in the suit). Thanks in advance.

This estimate is just so I can buy enough extra lead so I will have it on hand when I start to fine tune the weight. I figure that 10 lbs of extra should be enough to have on hand to fine tune the weight.

I have to add 6 lbs going from a 7mm one piece semi dry to my dry suit. 10-15 lbs sounds like a bit much.

It varries widely with the 2 respective suits and what you wear under the drysuit.

Gear for gear with my Bare Arctic and 7mm Hooded step-in I wear 26 pounds in salt water.

In my Atlan 7mm neoprene drysuit with a Bare T-100 undergarment I'm down to 48. 44 was to little, there is hope for 46. In sweats I need less but have less thermal protection.

Air space is warmth and airspace needs weight. You can dive with less if you wish to accept less warmth.

You need what you need for what you and your gear are, just like diving wet.

Pete

It's just as Pete said. The undergarment has a big impact on the airspace under the suit and hence the amount of weight you need.

For example, I have a Bare Trilam HD shell type drysuit.

I got a Scubapro thermolite/polartec undergarment for it. The undergarment was warm but I went from needing about 16 lbs with a 7mm 1 piece wetsuit to needing 33 lbs (although some of this was due to my inexperience with drysuits in general).

I changed to a Bare undergarment and now I'm down to about 24 lbs in salt water, and more in control of my buoyancy. The Bare undergarment isn't as warm but it's tolerable.

From posts I've read on this subject the opinions seem to be that Thinsulate based undergarments are thinner and less buoyant for a given level of warmth. Weezle undergarments seem to require more air loft and hence more weight (although many people love them for the warmth).

If you can post what undergarment you intend to use, I'm sure people could give you a better estimate.

DA Aqua, your experience with drysuits seems much different than anyone I have talked too. I remember having this discussion with you just under a year ago. In fresh water for me in a 3mm, I need around 4lbs or so....in a 7mm I need about 10-12lbs...in my 6.5mm Neoprene Drysuit with undergarment i need about 32lbs.

I think I remember you saying you can dive a Neoprene drysuit and use the suit for buoyancy at depth. Being overweighted at the start of a dive and with the buoyancy loss of the suit at depth I have to use my wing...I tried using my drysuit and it was a mess.

I'm not giving you a hard time, really I'm not....I just dont see anyone else posting similiar experiences. Heck I added 20lbs going from 7mm to a drysuit.

bradshsi:
I changed to a Bare undergarment and now I'm down to about 24 lbs in salt water, and more in control of my buoyancy. The Bare undergarment isn't as warm but it's tolerable.

My husband and I just bought Bare Trilam HD Tech dry suits. I went with the CT200 Polarwear extreme (only one they make for "women" in the thinsulate) for winter (based on our LDS recommendation). My husband got the CT100 as he is not such a whimp. Both the suit and undergarment for me are custom, my husband is lucky that he's the "off the rack" size! What BARE undergarment did you buy? Just curious, hoping I'll be warm enough!

go to the pool and figure it out! Cyberdivers :cyborg: :pcangry:

What part of I just want an estimate so I will have enough lead on hand when I start to fine tune didn't you get. I was just asking an estimate of the additional lead I should buy to have ON HAND when I FINE tune my weighting, I didn't and don't expect anyone to tell me how much weight I will need, I CAN FIGURE THAT OUT MYSELF, I just wanted a guess as to how much more lead I will need.

What's a 905, neo, crushed or bag? (yes I could look it up)
What sort or undergarments are you fluffing in that thing?
Describe your wetsuit? Full suit? John & Jacket.
Same fins?
What color socks?

Use just enough air to minimize squeeze and dive with the vent valve open from the start and you won't need to work down.

Pete

Its a trilam, I will be using the DR Primaloft undergarment. I plan on minimizing the amount of air, just enough to limit squeeze. I wore a 7mm full wetsuit prior.

Back
Top Bottom